Salman’s Being Human: 30% sales jump, ‘Rs 42 cr donated’

Shares of Mandhana came under intense selling pressure after Salman convicted in the 2002 hit-and-run case.

By: Press Trust of India Written by Meghna Yelluru , Khushboo Narayan | Mumbai | Updated: May 7, 2015 8:56 am
salman khan verdict, salman khan Being Human, salman khan, salman khan jail, salman khan case, hit and run case, Salman Khan’s Being Human apparel currently accounts for 10 per cent of Mandhana’s global sales, and the latter expects a sales growth of 50-60 per cent year-on-year.

Just after the conviction, Salman Khan’s defence pleaded for a lower sentence citing the work done through Being Human-The Salman Khan Foundation in education and healthcare. Counsel Shrikant Shivade said while people usually do community service after conviction, Salman has been doing that “since 2007 and has disbursed Rs 42 crore in the last 3 years” through the foundation.

(Read: Salman Khan trends on Twitter, reactions divided on verdict)

One of the sources of Being Human’s funding is sale of apparel, for which it has a tie-up with Mandhana Industries Ltd. Shares of Mandhana fell after the verdict — 4.74 per cent at one point. Though this seem to suggest investors felt negative publicity would hit sales, this came on a day when the larger market too fell and Mandhana’s crash might have been part of it.

(Also read: Salman Khan verdict: Bihar’s conjoined twins Saba-Farah stop eating)

Being Human apparel currently accounts for 10 per cent of Mandhana’s global sales, and the latter expects a sales growth of 50-60 per cent year-on-year. For the nine months ended December, Mandhana’s sales grew 12 per cent from a year earlier to Rs 1,204 crore; its net profit rose 89 per cent to Rs 63 crore. In 2014-15, Being Human apparel brought in Rs 170 crore, up 29.7 percent from Rs 131 crore a year earlier, a company spokesperson said in an email response.

(Read: Salman Khan sentenced to five years in jail: ‘Sad day’ for Bollywood)

Brand consultants feel the conviction can potentially harm the brand. “Any big business can sustain controversies but in this particular case criminality is involved. And this can destroy Khan’s apparel business,” said a consultant who do not wish to be named.

Related Article

Harish Bijoor, chief executive of Harish Bijoor Consults Inc, said the conviction is a negative judgment against “brand Salman”. “His integrity is being questioned and in such cases brands usually pull out,” Bijoor said.

Mandhana Industries is optimistic. “The goal of Being Human is much more than just being a popular brand. Salman has made it very clear that the philantrophic work through Being Human will continue with or without him,” said Manish Mandhana, managing director. “As of now, I don’t see any immediate impact on our sales. Our business has grown by leaps and bounds in the last three years and will continue to grow.”

In 2011, Mandhana Industries signed a deal with Salman for a nine-year commercial licence for Being Human. The company paid him Rs 1.5 crore, according to filings with the Registrar of Companies. Under the agreement, the company pays the foundation royalty less than 5 per cent on sales of Being Human apparel. In November 2014, Mandhana de-merged retail into a separate company, Mandhana Retail Ventures Ltd.

The other partners of Being Human Foundation, according to its website, are Akshara High School, Aseema Coca-Cola India Pvt. Ltd, Fortis Foundation, Maaya Foundation, Marrow Donor Registry India, Suzuki Motorcycle and The Max Foundation.

According to Mandhana’s 2013-14 annual report, there are 17 company-owned Being Human stores, six franchised outlets, 99 store-in-stores, 60 distributors that feature the brand and 100 international outlets that sell Being Human  apparel.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App

padmakar
    Jul 27, 2017 at 11:02 pm
    fincial supp, my mother is two kidni fail plz help
    sherkhan
    Jun 18, 2017 at 9:38 pm
    Hello salman bhai, I was reading comments published by the the Indian express about the expectations of the needy people's all around the world from you. I couldn't stop my eyes running out of tears when I was reading about the problems of the humans I mean people's. I request all the human kind to come forward and donate 1 rupee,1 dollor, or any bearing 1 denomination of their respected country per head every month to The Being Human Foundation. In this way we can help people's and their problems and help mankind for being human. I pray for salman khan for his long life and success. And I hope every human being will join him and support and donate for the mankind. Don't just live as a human being, live for being human
    syed faizan
    Apr 6, 2016 at 9:52 am
    sir my ek village se ho sie my y a per poor people ki madatte karna chatahu sir aur my app se kitna bar app mage deya tha per app na ny dekha so app se guzarish hy ki my app se ek bar milna chatahu mara number hy ki 7386390784 aur mara naam s faizan ali hy sir so plese plese mujha reply jald se jald dejiya sir plese
    syed faizan
    Apr 6, 2016 at 9:55 am
    sir plese mujhe app se baat karna hy sie my ek chote village se hu sir mara naam s faizan ali hy aur yaha per garib loog bihut hy sir aur unko sahe khana nahe milra sir my unki madat karna chatahu sir agar app mujhe support kare
    Ahmed Khan
    May 17, 2016 at 6:48 pm
    To,lt;br/gt; The Honorable Sir, Salman Khan Superstar of Bollywood India.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;My name Ahmed Khan s/o late Abdul Karim, from Khuzdar Balochistan stan. I am belong to a very poor family. My parents has ped away. I have five sisters. I am the only one responsible of my sisters. I am homeless.Me and my sisters so much in difficulty. We have no home for living. I am not able to buy home for us. Because my financial problem.lt;br/gt;Therefore, I am requested you please please financial istance me for home $10,000/- only. Me and my sisters always pray for you. I hope you help me. lt;br/gt;My file is attach with my mail. Please please support me. I am not a fraud. My condition is so bad.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Thank you.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Ahmed Khan s/o late Abdul Karim.lt;br/gt;Account le: Ahmed Khanlt;br/gt;Account No. 1000512lt;br/gt;Bank Code: 0567lt;br/gt;Bank Name: MCB Khuzdar Branch Balochistan stan.lt;br/gt;Contact No. 0092-3337995777lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Address: Umrani Autous Ghulamani Chowk Khattan Road Khuzdar Balochistan stan.
    Md Rizvi
    Jul 8, 2016 at 6:08 pm
    Hi Salman bhai Mera naam Md Rizvi hai me Kolkata Ka hun aapse Milne ki ummid me Bahut baar aapke ghar tk aaya pr aapko Nhi Dekh paya plz zindagi ki bs ek tamanna hai ke ek baar aapse milun my nmbr 9674794402
    Milind
    Jul 20, 2016 at 2:28 am
    Dear Mr Salman Bhai apko shrirao pariwar ka bahut pyar. being human ap seva kar rahe ho. yeh apko zindgi badati hai aur Pyar deti Hai, Bhagwan apko bahut khushi bakshe,lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Salman bhai hum log 15 villege ke bhacche ko acche school ki padai dete hai. abhi 150 bachhe hai. Hum apke rah per kuchha karna chahate hai. Salman bhai Shadi kar lijiye bahot Khush rahoge aur Mother aur Father blessing milega . Salman bhai Ap India ke Ladle ho. Mai apka bahut fan hoo. Mai apki Tere Nam Dekhata hoo Bahoot Rota hoo, Meri wife bahoot supportive hai, mere Do Bade Bachhe hai, SIr mere Sanstha hai Shree sant nanaguru maharaj Education Shirkhed, village Salman bhai Ap mere sanstha ke liye pyar de dijeyega . Apko meri umar lage aur zindgi apko pyar de. Apka Milind
    Pinki
    Jan 13, 2016 at 9:12 am
    Salman khan is the proud of India. There is no actor and other to comperision of Our Bhaijaan. God always bless u and give u more sucess in your work and life. We love u loving bhaijaan. Apke jaisa koi ni aj k time me tbi to ap ekdm alag ho.