Deepika Padukone in tears as she talks about depression: If it wasn’t for my mother, I wouldn’t be here

Written by A. Kameshwari | New Delhi | Updated: October 10, 2016 7:53 pm
Deepika Padukone, Deepika Padukone actress, Deepika Padukone depression, depression deepika, depression Deepika Padukone, Deepika Padukone interview, Deepika Padukone movies, Deepika Padukone news, entertainment news, indian express, indian news express At an event in Delhi on Monday, Deepika Padukone broke down while speaking about her own experience of dealing with depression.

Deepika Padukone might be a successful star who has achieved both national and international recognition. But hard as it is to accept, this smiling, the succesful actor suffered from depression in the past. However, instead of hiding the fact or sweeping it under the carpet, Deepika fought with the ailment and has now started a foundation to help others who are suffering from depression.

Watch Deepika Padukone speaking at the event

Her aim is to free depression of its stigma and see it as a disease that you can fight and cure. She also wants to sensitise people around those suffering from depression.

At an event in Delhi on Monday, Deepika broke down while speaking her own experience. “Two years back, my family had come to see me. They were about to leave and I was all alone in my bedroom, curled up. My mother walked in and asked if everything was okay, I said yes. She asked again if it was work or something else that was bothering me, I said no. She asked me so many times that I felt myself choking and I broke into tears,” the actor recalled.

“I want to tell my mother that if it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be here. Thank you for being with me all through the way. Thank you to my sister, my father and friends who supported my immensely,” she added while wiping tears rolling down her cheeks.

While explaining how important it is to take the step of talking to the one suffering from depression, Deepika launched a social campaign through her Live Love Laugh foundation, #DOBARAPOOCHO. “In the times we are living today, we have become so competitive, which is a good thing, but we have become extremely insensitive too. Through this campaign, I dedicate this to people who have survived depression, people suffering through it even now and urge the society to become more sensitive.”

Deepika said she is extremely happy that she now see articles being written about depression and people having a conversation about it, which proves it is losing its stigma. “I did not want to be in the situation I was. I wanted to come out of it desperately. As they say that every solution is within your own self, I found the strength within me and also the people I had around who made me believe that I can rely on them,” Deepika said on being asked how she came out of depression.

She added that the day we lose the stigma attached to mental illness, half of the battle will be won. “If there is hope, there is a way.”

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App now

Sagar
    Oct 11, 2016 at 7:58 am
    Why not feel
    1. B
      Bijoylakshmi Das
      Oct 10, 2016 at 8:45 pm
      Nice feelings. She cares so much for parents and family. Very decently dressed and spoke with dignity, most unlike a few actresses in nude posture for cheap publicity.
        ray
        Oct 10, 2016 at 5:30 pm
        NDTV - please focus on real people problems and NOT rich people problems... Get real
          Ashok Mazumdar
          Oct 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm
          What a Darling Daughter -A Darling Sister - Darling Child- A coursgious Girl. !lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;I salute you darling, face it and prove that Prakash Was a Champion.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Parents are proud of you.
          1. N
            Nazeer Hussain
            Oct 10, 2016 at 3:57 pm
            When Ur depressed whatever you do never take medications, it is proven fact that people who take anti depressants are more likely to commit suicide than people who don't take, my personal experience all it does is numb your brain you feel drowsy the w time.don't believe me read the description of medicine and the waiver printed by pharma company who manufactured it . They are many other ways to combat depression . Don't fall a prey to these money making bi atches on the expense of people's lives
              PRAVIN S
              Oct 10, 2016 at 6:09 pm
              is she fit to be actress - this is called propaa machine sucess still - failed miserably
                Ranjeet
                Oct 11, 2016 at 10:40 am
                Yes please take care remember Pravin Bali
                  Sud
                  Oct 10, 2016 at 6:13 pm
                  People should respect people as individuals and stop judging them by their profession. Using F word does not make one cool, it shows one's mentality. Kudos Deepika, keep doing the good work
                  1. V
                    Vithoba jee
                    Oct 14, 2016 at 12:11 am
                    She can be normal by just giving 56 K rupees to for rural rejuvenation projects.lt;br/gt; - says one dental health expert of Jalgoan
                    1. V
                      Vithoba jee
                      Oct 14, 2016 at 5:58 am
                      She can be normal by just giving 56 K rupees to shivprabha . org for rural rejuvenation projects. - says one dental health expert of Jalgoan
                        Shekhar Nair
                        Oct 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm
                        What she depressed about except f……