Filmmaker Soundarya, who is making her directorial debut with Rajnikanth-starrer ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ says her father agreed to be part of this mega project for the script and not because she was his daughter.
“Once he was convinced about the script and that it requires a certain kind of technology then only he said yes. Because the kind of action sequences you will see in ‘Kochadaiiyaan’, it is not possible in live action or in visual effects to get this kind of impact.
“Only after he was convinced about this technology he agreed to do the film and not because I was his daughter. That did not even make a difference. I was confident of handling the project and my father said ok go ahead,” Soundarya said in an interview here.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The director says that she felt blessed to work with Rajinikanth, 63, in her debut film. Soundarya added that when the project happened he agreed to do the film not like a doting father but took a professional approach.
“This is a performance capture photo realistic film. It is a first attempt here (in India) but it is very famous abroad (Hollywood). Usually, films like this take approximately five to six years but we have been over ambitious and god has been kind and it took less than two years to make this film.
“It is a commercial film and the technology is new but the story is what a Rajinikanth story should be like. It is commercially packed film with technology that is used for the first time in our films,” Soundarya said.
She says it was not deliberate on her part to cast her father in her debut film. “We started ‘Rana’ and my father unfortunately fell ill and then he got better. And when he came back (to do films) we did not want him to do undergo much physical strain because ‘Rana’ is a period film and ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ is a prequel to ‘Rana’.. Kochadaiiyaan is Rana’s father. We wrote the story as Rana’s story was already there. We wanted to make it less stressful for my father and decided to use this technology… it is easier compared to live action,” Soundarya said.
Although Soundarya focused on technology, she says she did not compromise on the script. “I did not change the script. It was a new script. ‘Rana’ was a live action script… we decided to do a film that was prequel to the script of ‘Rana’ and we wanted to do it in a technology-oriented manner. I don’t think my father will like compromise,” Soundarya said.
The first-time director revealed that it was difficult for her to get her superstar father to understand the technology.
“My father says that he doesn’t understand technology because after six months of shooting he said show me how you have shot the song and I was like ok. I will finish it and show it later. Every second has 24 frames in it… every frame in this film has forty to fifty layers like the poster, palace, the crowd, the earrings, teeth all separate layers so all these layers come together only after I finish my shoot. So shooting is step one. To explain that to my dad was difficult,” she said.
For this film, the pre-production was done in Chennai and post production in London and China. The film also stars Deepika Padukone as the female lead. The makers are yet to announce the release date of the film, which is likely to hit the screens this summer.