Political and social activists Saturday filed police complaints against Bollywood filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma for his series of objectionable tweets on Lord Ganesh, officials said.
Sumit Khambekar, chief of the Mumbai unit of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, and social activist Shahzaad Poonawala filed separate complaints against Varma in police stations in the city.
Khambekar told media persons that Varma’s tweets “hurt the sentiments of a large number of Hindus, especially devotees of Lord Ganesh”.
Poonawala said Varma’s tweets have “angered” not only Maharashtrians but also Muslims of the state.
The 11-day Ganeshotsav is being celebrated across Maharashtra with glittering decorations on roads and bylanes, rows of fairy lights, and patriotic and social themes.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Varma Friday posted certain tweets and jocular remarks on Lord Ganesh, which many people said were objectionable and in poor taste.
Police said they will investigate the case before taking further steps.
Social activists and organisations, including the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, have condemned Varma’s comments and demanded an apology from him as well as police action.