Political and social activists Saturday filed police complaints against Bollywood filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma for his series of objectionable tweets on Lord Ganesh, officials said.
Sumit Khambekar, chief of the Mumbai unit of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, and social activist Shahzaad Poonawala filed separate complaints against Varma in police stations in the city.
Khambekar told media persons that Varma’s tweets “hurt the sentiments of a large number of Hindus, especially devotees of Lord Ganesh”.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Poonawala said Varma’s tweets have “angered” not only Maharashtrians but also Muslims of the state.
The 11-day Ganeshotsav is being celebrated across Maharashtra with glittering decorations on roads and bylanes, rows of fairy lights, and patriotic and social themes.
Varma Friday posted certain tweets and jocular remarks on Lord Ganesh, which many people said were objectionable and in poor taste.
Police said they will investigate the case before taking further steps.
Social activists and organisations, including the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, have condemned Varma’s comments and demanded an apology from him as well as police action.