Several Bollywood celebrities took to Twitter to mourn the death of Colombia’s Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez, paying rich tributes to the author.
Marquez, known for his novels ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’, ‘The Autumn of the Patriarch’ and ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’, died today, aged 87, at his home in southern Mexico City.
A master of magic realism, Marquez’s books were profoundly human, beautiful, mysterious, elegiac, irreverent and full of life. One of the greatest names in modern literature, Marquez introduced the world to Latin America’s rich culture, myths and history through his novels and stories.
Remembering the giant of Latin American literature, actress Soha Ali Khan, tweeted, “‘The scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love’ a favourite author Gabriel Garcia Marquez passed away today.”
Actor Kabir Bedi saluted the writer’s glorious life. “‘No matter what, nobody can take away the dances you’ve already had’. Gabriel Garcia Marquez… Ah, the dances he had! RIP,” Bedi posted.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Oscar-winning sound designer Resul Pookutty thanked the late author for the many literary treats and said he will miss reading more from him.
“RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez! One of the greatest visionary writers, your life was a singular gift to readers all over. We will miss you,” Pookutty said.
In an emotional tribute Bengali actor Parambrata Chatterjee, said, “For the first time, wept at the death of a writer. Garcia Marquez, rest in peace, while try to keep love alive, in these times of cholera.”
Columnist-writer Shobhaa De, said, “Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you leave behind ‘One Thousand Years of Solitude’ for us, your admirers… your devotees. How can we ever repay…?”
Sharing a quote from the writer’s noted work ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’, actress Sandhay Mridul expressed her admiration.
“‘It’s enough for me to be sure that you and I exist in this moment’, Gabriel Garcia Marquez RIP,” she posted.
Actress-producer Dia Mirza tweeted, “RIP Gabriel Marquez Garcia… #onehundredyearsofsolitude.”