Actress Rekha, whose ‘Umrao Jaan’ continues to mesmerise everyone, while her ‘Khoobsurat’ Manju warms hearts even now, turned 62. Hailed as one of the most versatile actresses of Hindi film industry, Rekha started her career in 1966 at the age of 12 in National award-winning Telugu film “Rangula Ratnam”.
She is being missed on the big screen nowadays, but the actress was a reigning star in the ’70s and ’80s, courtesy her performances in films like “Umrao Jaan”, “Muqaddar Ka Sikander”, “Silsila”, “Do Anjaane” and “Khoobsurat”.
Four years later, she made her debut as the lead actress in Bollywood film “Sawan Bhadon” opposite Navin Nischol. She has acted in 180 films in a career spanning over 40 years. Though many of her early movies were box office successes, Rekha got recognition as a leading actress only in mid 1970s.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
While on and off screen, Rekha carries an unmatchable aura of a star, as a person she appears reclusive and mysterious thanks to her absence from filmy parties, less friends in the industry and her introvert nature.
Nevertheless, the actress is mentioned in the list of most-talked about Bollywood stars across generations, ironically, as her personal life and relationships always kept Rekha in the news, even as she maintained silence on most of them.
Wishing her colleague on her special day, veteran actress Shabana Azmi tweeted, ” Happy birthday dear dear Rekha. May you shine on… Lots of love.” Actress-TV anchor Mandire Bedi wrote, “It’s her birthday today. And so she must be turning one year older. But she looks like, time stood still for her. #Rekha #Ageless #beauty.”
Rekha was last seen on the big screen in Amitabh Bachchan-stareer “Shamitabh”, last year. The actress had a guest appearance in which she played herself.