Bollywood celebrities have also joined the Hollywood celebs and other famous personalities in accepting the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The Ice Bucket Challenge, which involves dousing a bucket of ice water on one’s head or donating to the ALS Association in the United States, went viral throughout social media.
The campaign was launched by the ALS Foundation to raise money and awareness for fighting ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
The person who accepts the challenge then nominates his friends. The challenge entered Bollywood when Tennis player Sania Mirza nominated her actor friend Riteish Deshmukh, to take the Ice Bucket Challenge.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
— Sania Mirza (@MirzaSania) August 18, 2014
Father-to-be Riteish sportingly accepted the challenge in Krakow, Poland, where he is shooting for his upcoming film ‘Bangistan’. He posted his video on Facebook nominating his actor friends Abhishek Bachchan, Sidharth Malhotra, Ashish Chowdhry, Pulkit Sharma and Akshay Kumar.
Riteish posted, “I accepted Sania Mirza’s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge,to spread the awareness for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). I further nominate my friends Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan, Siddharth Malhotra, Pulkit Samrat and Ashish Chowdhry. Gotta do it within 24hrs -time starts now.”
‘Raaz’ actress Bipasha Basu was also nominated by her friend Suzie. She accepted the challenge and further nominated designer friend Rocky S and Shilpa Shetty’s industrialist husband Raj Kundra.
Soon to be seen in ‘Happy New Year’, actor Abhishek Bachchan accepted Riteish Deshmukh’s challenge and took the Ice Bucket Challenge.
— Abhishek Bachchan (@juniorbachchan) August 20, 2014
Abhishek further nominated his dad Amitabh Bachchan and superstar Shah Rukh Khan. ‘Dhamaal’ actor Ashish Chowdhary also accepted Riteish’s challenge.
He further nominated five people including Anusha Dandekar, Mandira Bedi, Dia Mirza, Neha Dhupia and Sophie Chowdhary.
The basic idea of the Ice Bucket Challenge is to raise money for charity. Facebook founder Mark Zukerberg nominated Bill Gates for the challenge and he accepted it.
According to a press release by ALS Foundation, it has received $22.9 million in donations compared to $1.9 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 19). These donations have come from existing donors and 453,210 new donors to The Association.