In order to create the perfect world of Mohenjo Daro, filmmaker Ashutosh Gowariker got in touch with several archaeologists who helped him in his research for the movie.
Starring Hrithik Roshan and newcomer Pooja Hegde, the movie is set in the ancient city of Mohenjo Daro in the era of the Indus Valley civilisation.
“This was a make believe world so when I started my research, during the initial phase, I came across Jonathan Mark Kenoyer’s books Ancient India: Land of Mystery and Excavations at Mohenjo Daro. I immediately got in touch with Kenoyer, Dept of Anthropology, University of Wisconsin, to seek his assistance,” Gowariker said in a statement.
“He has worked at the Mohenjo Daro excavation site for the past 35 years. To my good fortune, he agreed to help me realise the true potential of the story on film,” he said.
- Mohenjo Daro: Ashutosh Gowariker on how he created a world out of speculation
- EXCLUSIVE Hrithik Roshan: I didn't read up on Mohenjo Daro, Ashutosh Gowariker is a textbook
- Both 'Mohenjo Daro' and 'Rustom' should be superhits: Ashutosh Gowariker
- A R Rahman's music helped Mohenjo Daro look exotic: Ashutosh Gowariker
- A.R. Rahman to sing in Hrithik Roshan starrer Mohenjo Daro
- 'Mohenjo Daro' has been set in womb of time: Ashutosh Gowariker
The Jodha Akbar helmer said he was then suggested names of various individuals who could give him inputs on the undeciphered Sindhu script, culture, the town planning and any and every other aspect surrounding the era.
Gowariker shot the film in Bhuj, Kutch and had to keep in mind certain facts to give authenticity to the film.
The 52-year-old director shared instances like how the architecture was basic, with the tallest house in Mohenjo Daro just two-storey tall, and since there was no iron used, all the tools, implements and weapons were made of flint stone.
The filmmaker said even though gold was just discovered in that era, precious stones like Carnelian beads, Steatite beads, and many other river stones were used in ornamentation.
He said another thing they kept in mind was that there was barter system in the era and there was no currency of any kind.
Mohenjo Daro is set to release on August 12.