Actor Annu Kapoor, who will be seen in the remake of legendary filmmaker Basu Chatterjee’s 1982 hit ‘Shaukeen’, says shortage of original ideas and the tendency to play safe make directors go for reboots.
“I think producers and directors choose to play safe by making remakes. There is a shortage of original thoughts. There are lots of directors who are inspired or adapt or copy other films and ideas.. that is the trend. Indians are copy cats. It shows there is less focus on creativity. Originality is a blessing. I feel directors should think of more original ideas,” Kapoor told PTI in an interview here.
Despite having a strong opinion about remakes, when asked why he opted to be part of the remake version of ‘Shaukeen’, Kapoor said, “I liked the role and the story. I prefer originality when it comes to performing my role and not copy anyone. It is about my interpretation towards my role. I have not seen ‘Shaukeen’ and even after deciding to do this film I did not see the film.”
In the original, actors Ashok Kumar, Utpal Dutt and AK Hangal, are shown to be attracted towards the much-younger Rati Agnihotri.
Now, Annu Kapoor, Anupam Kher and Piyush Mishra have been cast as the three old men. The major portion of the film has already been shot. Some portion will be shot in Mauritius.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“The film has shaped up good till now. Its a fun entertaining film,” Kapoor, who won National Film Award for the Best Supporting Actor for ‘Vicky Donor’, said.
On how different will his character be from the original, Kapoor said, “I have not seen the original ‘Shaukeen’. As an actor my job is to follow the script. I have always focused on what I have been given by the director. The basic plot is same about three men behind her (heroine). The three men will be flirting. It was not difficult either for me (to flirt).
“My worry as an actor today is to do powerful and good roles something that is different and original. It is difficult to get good films and roles,” he added.
Kapoor, 58, does feel comparisons with the original Shaukeen’ are bound to be made. “But our film is in today’s time of 2014,” he added.
Superstar Akshay Kumar has been roped in to reprise Mithun Chakraborty’s role from Basu Chatterjee’s 1982 comedy Shaukeen. While actress Lisa Haydon will play the part essayed by Rati Agnihotri in the yesteryear hit.
“It was a very nice experience working with everyone. We are having lots of fun,” Kapoor said. The remake is directed by Abhishek Sharma.