Remembering him as a “wonderful human being”, megastar Amitabh Bachchan and melody queen Lata Mangeshkar today mourned the death of Telugu movie icon Akkineni Nageshwara Rao.
The 91-year-old actor, popularly known as ANR in the south film industry, passed away on Wednesday (January 22) morning after losing his battle with cancer.
“Another great iconic legend of cinema passes away this morning: Nageshwar Rao, of Telugu cinema, a most affable considerate human! Akkineni Nageshwar Rao, legend of Telugu cinema, formed the incredible duo with another legend NTR, leaves behind incredible legacy,” Bachchan, 71, tweeted.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
84-year-old Mangeshkar remembered meeting Nageshwara Rao during an award show four years ago.
“The great Telegu artist Akkineni Nageshwara Rao today left for the heavenly abode and I am deeply saddened. He was not just a great artist but a wonderful human being. I had the opportunity to meet him four years ago… I had received an award from him. May god bless his soul and I pray for his family,” Mangeshkar tweeted.
Actress Sridevi also paid tribute to the actor, saying his passing away marked the end of an era in Telugu cinema.
“”An era comes to end-the doyen of Telugu Cinema.RIP Nageshwar Rao Garu,” Sridevi tweeted. Director SS Rajamouli wrote: “An attitude towards life.. Wish we could learn a bit from him.”
“An actor, a gentleman and a cinematic phenomena Akkineni Nageswara Rao Garu. Have learnt a lot from him. Will miss him and his performances. RIP,” tweeted Anupam Kher.
Similar to his father Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek also took to the micro-blogging site to express his grief over the death of the legendary actor. “And the industry loses another Legend. RIP A Nageshwara Rao garu. A true inspiration. Thoughts and prayers for his family,” wrote Abhishek Bachchan.
Actor Riteish Deshmukh and his actress wife Genelia also condoled the loss. “Legendary A Nagrswara Rao – RIP – deepest condolences to the family and loved ones – Huge loss,” Riteish wrote.
“RIP ANR Garu, was my honour to be launched in the Telugu Industry by you. Strength and prayers to the entire fly,” Genelia posted on Twitter.
Besides them, actors Anil Kapoor and Siddharth too expressed sadness over Rao’s death.
“A true legend and a giant has left us. RIP Akkineni Nageswara Rao garu. What a life. What a man. Will cherish every second I spent with you,” tweeted Siddharth.
“My dear friend Nagarjuna’s father the great Nageshwara Rao passes away. One of the greatest romantic Hero’s. RIP, ” wrote Anil Kapoor.
Actor Prakash Raj and filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, on the occasion recalled the acting stalwart’s contribution in bringing the Telugu film industry to the forefront.
“Apart from numerous other contributions ANR was the most instrumental in bringing the Telugu film industry to Hyderabad,” Varma scribed.
“Thank you ANR garu. For entertaining us. For your studios, for your children, for being a pioneer in bringing Telugu film industry to Hyderabad. RIP!,” Prakash Raj posted on Twitter.