Bachchan, 72, who began the proceedings by singing the National Anthem at Sardar Patel Stadium, NSCI, said he was “honoured” to sing the anthem.
“First day of ProKabaddi… And I sing the National Anthem… first time ever! Honored and a privilege …” he posted on his Facebook page.
- Amitabh Bachchan's Maldives vacation photos will give you travel goals
- Fatima Sana Shaikh gears up to become a warrior in Thugs of Hindostan. See photos
- Cricketers extend wishes to 'greatest superstar of our country' Amitabh Bachchan on 75th birthday
- Kaun Banega Crorepati 9: Amitabh Bachchan gets emotional on the sets after watching a special birthday video
- From Aaradhya's hand-designed card to a yacht party, here's how the Bachchans are planning to ring in Big B's birthday
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan cheers for hubby Abhishek's Kabaddi team with Big B and Aamir
The opening encounter was between defending champions Jaipur Pink Panthers, owned by Abhishek, and last year’s runners-up U Mumba.
The “Piku” actor thanked Aamir, Riteish Deshmukh and his wife Genelia for attending the ceremony.
“Great turn out of friends at the stadium… Thank you all for coming… Aamir, Riteish, Genelia, and so many others …”
Bachchan also took to Twitter and shared a picture where he is sporting his three Padma Medals.
“The first time ever I wear my Padma medals .. all 3 .. and then switch to cheering Jaipur,” he captioned the picture.