Bachchan, 72, who began the proceedings by singing the National Anthem at Sardar Patel Stadium, NSCI, said he was “honoured” to sing the anthem.
“First day of ProKabaddi… And I sing the National Anthem… first time ever! Honored and a privilege …” he posted on his Facebook page.
- Pro Kabaddi 2016 kicks off with starry opening ceremony
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan cheers for hubby Abhishek's Kabaddi team with Big B and Aamir
- Devendra Fadnavis to Amitabh Bachchan, celebrities laud Pro Kabaddi League on Twitter
- Amitabh Bachchan to sing National Anthem at Pro Kabaddi League opening
- Kabaddi brings Aamir, Shah Rukh Khan together
- Aishwarya, Shah Rukh, Aamir cheer for Abhishek Bachchan's Kabaddi team
The opening encounter was between defending champions Jaipur Pink Panthers, owned by Abhishek, and last year’s runners-up U Mumba.
The “Piku” actor thanked Aamir, Riteish Deshmukh and his wife Genelia for attending the ceremony.
“Great turn out of friends at the stadium… Thank you all for coming… Aamir, Riteish, Genelia, and so many others …”
Bachchan also took to Twitter and shared a picture where he is sporting his three Padma Medals.
“The first time ever I wear my Padma medals .. all 3 .. and then switch to cheering Jaipur,” he captioned the picture.