I love my sister but I can’t help her get over depression, says Alia Bhatt

Alia Bhatt's sister Shaheen Bhatt recently shared a message about her mental illness on her social media account.

By: Express Web Desk Written by Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: December 3, 2016 12:08 pm
Alia Bhatt sister love, Alia Bhatt sister, Alia Bhatt sister depression, Alia Bhatt Shaheen Bhatt, Alia Bhatt loves Shaheen, Alia Bhatt family, Shaheen Bhatt depression post, Alia Bhatt insomnia, alia bhatt dear zindagi, Kiara dear zindagi, alia bhatt movies, alia bhatt news, alia bhatt updates, bjollywood news, bollywood updates, entertainment news, indian express news, indian express Alia Bhatt opened up about her sister, Shaheen Bhatt’s battle with depression.

After Deepika Padukone, Karan Johar and Honey Singh, Bollywood star Alia Bhatt’s sister Shaheen left people shocked when she took to Instagram to share how she has been battling with depression and insomnia. Shaheen wrote on social media, “It’s not something I take any pains to hide, I’m not ashamed of it or particularly troubled by it. It’s just a part of who I am.”

Daughter of Mahesh Bhatt and Soni Razdan, Shaheen spoke about living with the mental illness in the long message, “I’ve lived with depression on and off since I was about 13 years old. This is not a revelation or a confession.” On Friday, Alia opened up about Shaheen’s battle with depression and said in an interview to DNA, “All those who are close to her know about it. It’s not as if Shaheen had never spoken about it before. She has, to her loved ones. Apart from the depression, my sister also has insomnia. So we’ve spent many sleepless nights talking.” Alia’s character in Dear Zindagi, Kiara, too fought insomnia for which she consults her ‘dimag ka doctor’ Shah Rukh Khan in the movie.

More from the world of Entertainment:

After getting into the shoes of her sister, though only for her character in Dear Zindagi, how does Alia try to help her sister? “I am there to support her unconditionally. If she just needs me to be around, I am there for her. Whenever she needs to talk to me, I am there to talk to her. But she has her own process of dealing with it which only she understands and I can’t be part of. No matter how hard I try,” revealed Alia who feels helpless on not being able to be of any good to her sister.

Also read | Alia Bhatt moves into her new house, this is what she did on her first night there. See pics

Alia strongly believes that her sister is a strong woman and holds the capability of dealing with her illness sensibly. “Whenever she seeks me for companionship, I am there. Otherwise, she is a strong person and she has to deal with it herself. No matter how much I love her, I can’t help her get over the depression. She has to do it on her own.”

Read Shaheen Bhatt’s Instagram post on dealing with depression here:

shaheen-bhatt

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App

Rishit Jain
    Jan 25, 2017 at 5:56 pm
    SHAHEEN LET BAD THOUGHTS COME INTO YOUR MIND.... lt;br/gt;WHY DEPRESSION STOP Ult;br/gt;LIFE IS SO SMALL lt;br/gt;TRUST..ONCE U STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.. IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY GO
      Rishit Jain
      Jan 25, 2017 at 5:59 pm
      shaheen just stop thinking about the bad thoughts that come into your mind....lt;br/gt;trust....ur thoughts will go automaticallylt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;remember life is very smalllt;br/gt;y depression stop u
        Romik
        Dec 3, 2016 at 1:11 am
        FOr untreated depression nin US we are using Ketamine infusion ( in small doses over 3-4 hrs) or even ECT. These can cure a few people and should be used in India also under supervision of good doctors.
        Sahil
        Dec 2, 2016 at 5:52 pm
        Nice my dear
          DAMMN THESE
          Dec 2, 2016 at 6:46 pm
          WTF these people ARE STUGGLING FROM??....... FINANCIAL CRISIS?, WORK OVERLOAD?, DEMONATIZATION PAINS?, daily Local train travel pains?. i bet these are ways more depressing things than these guy's silly reasons to be depressed !! and yet at night we end up happily watching the kapil shows or atleast listening to radio !! I REALLY FEEL SILLY WHEN I SEE THESE BIG SHOTS SAY THEY ARE STRUGGLING FROM FREAKING "DEPRESSION" !!
          1. J
            Jesus
            Dec 2, 2016 at 4:43 pm
            I.E, it Is shame that you are obsessed with Alia Bhatt and khan families. It is shame that you couldn't find better news to fill your paper. Are these celebrities paying this author to cover every silly thing they do. Please cover news that are important, not these silly news. Chief editor of I.e. should feel ashamed of himself for allowing news published. Directors of I.E, It is high time to change your chief editor, he has no spine to cover real news, he is obsessed with celebrity daily lifes and their dogs.
            Rakhi
            Dec 2, 2016 at 11:30 am
            All critic reviews are paid we need on honest review websites i really like wittyghostlt;br/gt;Great movie... Best movie of this year...
              ds
              Dec 2, 2016 at 9:52 am
              Alia please give some advice to Pappu Rahul to overcome depression due to demonetization. Use some jokes on you to humor pappu