Rumours were abuzz that Akshay, who starred in the first film, or Abhishek might join the star cast of the second instalment of the 2002 release, to be directed by Anees Bazmee.
Akshay, however, recently clarified he hadn’t joined the sequel.
“We never approached Akshay or Abhishek for ‘Aankhen 2’. It was all speculation happening with the media about the casting. We would love to work with them on some other film. As of now we have almost locked our star cast,” Gaurang told PTI.
“Aankhein” starred Akshay, Arjun Rampal and Paresh Rawal in the roles of blind men.
Arjun will reprise his role in the second part and will be joined by Arshad Warsi as the second blind man, while name of the actor playing the third guy has been kept under wraps so far.
“We will officially make the announcement about a blind man, named Rahul – the mysterious guy in the film. He will be a young actor. The event will be held on October 2 this year. It’s a special day so we thought of introducing the new member in ‘Aankhen 2’ team,” he said.
Like “Aankhein”, the sequel will also star megastar Amitabh Bachchan.
It is scheduled to hit screens on Diwali next year, in an expected box-office clash with Ajay Devgn’s “Golmaal 4”.
“Diwali is a big period so filmmakers chose to release their films during this time. I am hopeful both films will do well. Also, I am confident about my own film,” Gaurang said.
The heist drama film will be set against the backdrop of casino, which will be robbed by three blind men.