Rohit Shetty-Ajay Devgn’s Singham Returns has gone through the censor board, and emerged not unscathed.
One learns from very reliable sources that some crucial religious references pertaining to both the majority and minority community have been asked to be duly deleted before the film was granted a ‘UA’ (suitable for children accompanied by parents).
But not before some religious symbols were asked to go.
Says a source, “The saffron coloured flag identified with one political-religious group has been replaced. The censor board has asked for the colour of the flag to be changed wherever it was shown to be saffron. The words ‘vishwadhaam’ and ‘pravachan’ have been replaced by the word ‘vikasdham’. And a religious speech was described as, ‘Do kaudi ka pravachan’. This has been replaced by ‘faltu ka bhashan.’
On the other end, of spectrum a 3 1/2 minute shot at a dargah has been modified by the censor board.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
A shot of Ajay Devgn saluting the dargah has also been censored, and so have scenes showing cops pray at the dargah praying en masse.
Says a source, “There is actually a dargah in Mahim in Mumbai which has been adopted by the Mumbai police force. Rohit Shetty and Ajay Devgn have shown this holy place in a wonderful light. However not everyone in the police force goes and prays at this dargah. There were shots that showed a multitudinous congregation of cops praying at the dargah. The censor board felt this visual would have created a false impression in the audiences’ mind.”
As per censorial guidelines pertaining to depiction of religious matter in films, all references to real-life religious institutions and excessive display of religious fervour are to be deleted.
“This is why a shot of Ajay Devgn saluting the dargah has also been removed,” says the source.