He has been a part of the coveted 100 crore club ruled by Bollywood superstars but Ajay Devgn says it’s not a parameter for success as public knows the difference between a good film and those releasing on Diwali or Eid.
“I don’t think (100 crore) is a parameter. We all know which film is good and which film has worked because of the time of release be it Diwali, Eid or whatever and which film really deserves a sequel. That is why sequels of those films cannot be made,” Ajay, who is awaiting the release of ‘Singham’ sequel, told PTI. (In Pics: Singham Ajay Devgn is city hopping with Kareena Kapoor)
Although, the 45-year-old actor did not take any names, it is a well-known fact that the three main festival days are mostly booked for the three Khans- Eid for Salman, Diwali for Shah Rukh while Aamir prefers the year-end Christmas slot.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Ajay, who is aiming to cash in on the holiday weekend of Independence Day with ‘Singham Returns‘, says he does not bother about the ongoing battle to the top in Bollywood as he has a huge film resume.
“Everybody knows (of my work). When you see the list of hits they are huge. It doesn’t matter to me. It has just become a style to take one name. But we have all been here for the past 25 years in the industry and doing well and surviving here.
“I am 45 and I am doing what young kids are doing so I think you can’t take that away,” Ajay said.
In the past three years, there has been a swarm of young actors in Bollywood. When asked whether new faces encroaching on their territory, Ajay said emulating what he and his contemporaries have been consistently doing for the past 25 years will be difficult.
“We are talking about the young crop of actors that have come up in the last 2-3 years. But it has been so difficult in the past 25 years for someone to come and establish themselves and we have been here. So, audience takes their time and who has the capability they accept him. It is not that easy,” Ajay said.
The actor has reunited with his long-time collaborator Rohit Shetty for his upcoming Independence Day release ‘Singham Returns’ and he says their relationship has gone from strength to strength in the past 23 years.
“I can’t even explain the journey… it has been 23 years. He came as a young assistant director when I started my first film ‘Phool Aur Kaante’. How the journey has gone we don’t know. (Our relationship) has kept on progressing since he directed his first film ‘Zameen’,” he said.
‘Singham Returns’ also stars Kareena Kapoor Khan and Amol Gupte and is a sequel to Shetty’s hit 2011 film ‘Singham’. But Ajay assures that the upcoming movie is more than just a sequel as it is loaded with bigger drama and action.
“The sequel was actually on public demand. But we were not ready until we had a good script because we knew the expectation would be very high. The drama is bigger. This time it is more real,” Ajay said.
The actor is currently shooting for ‘Action Jackson’ and busy with pre-production of a film starring his actress wife, Kajol. The film will be directed by ad filmmaker Ram Madhvani and will go on floors in November.