Airlift starring Akshay Kumar has earned Rs 94.50 crore after nine days of its release and is inching close to Rs 100 crore at the box office.
Airlift, which is now heading towards the coveted Rs. 100 cr club, will be Akshay Kumar’s fourth film to cross the mark after Housefull 2 (2012), Rowdy Rathore (2012) and Holiday (2014).
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
#Airlift is all set to cross ₹ 100 cr. Remains the first choice of moviegoers. [Week 2] Fri 4.50 cr, Sat 6.50 cr. Total: ₹ 94.50 cr.
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 31, 2016
Airlift, which has been liked by critics and fans alike, has benefited from good word of mouth. Akshay’s acting in the film has been appreciated.
Trade expert Taran Adarsh, who has been sharing the daily collections, shared fresh data: “#Airlift Fri 12.35 cr, Sat 14.60 cr, Sun 17.35 cr, Mon 10.40 cr, Tue 17.80 cr, Wed 6 cr, Thu 5 cr. Total: ₹ 83.50 cr. India biz. EXCELLENT!. he further tweeted the collections of the eighth day which were Rs. 4.50 cr taking the total collections up to Rs. 88 cr.
#Airlift [Week 2] Fri 4.50 cr. Total: ₹ 88 cr. India biz. VERY STEADY!
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 30, 2016
Airlift had earned Rs. 12.35 cr. on its opening day, then earned Rs. 14.60 cr on the second day. The third day collections were even higher as it grossed Rs. 17.35 cr on the final day of the opening weekend. The collections went down to Rs. 10.40 cr on the fourth day. But the film witnessed a stupendous rise in its collections of Day 5 – January 26, which was a public holiday.
The collections on day five were Rs. 17.80 cr and the film is now headed to enter the Rs 100 crore club soon. (Photos: Airlift box office collections)
The film which has already earned Rs. 26.53 worldwide is doing good internationally as well.
#Airlift Overseas *Week 1* total: $ 3.90 million [$ 3,906,903 = ₹ 26.53 cr]. GOOD!
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 29, 2016
Airlift tells how the Indian government evacuation of 1,70,000 people of Indian origin and also of other nationalities through 488 flights during the Iraq-Kuwait war. (PHOTOS : Akshay Kumar, Nimrat Kaur watch Airlift with fans)
The film, which has Nimrat Kaur in the lead opposite Akshay, has been appreciated by the fans and critics alike.
(Read: Airlift movie review)
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 27, 2016
Indian Express critic Shubhra Gupta had written in her review: “It is the sort of awakening that shakes loose Katyal from his cocooned wealthy life, which he shares with his wife Amrita (Nimrat Kaur) and young daughter, forcing him to deal with a series of dangerous situations, and leading to the evacuation of more than a lakh Indians stuck between Saddam Hussain’s brutal forces and an alarmingly slow-to-take-heed Indian state.”
“Airlift”, directed by Raja Krishna Menon, also stars Nimrat Kaur and Purab Kohli in key roles. The film clashed with Ekta Kapoor’s adult comedy, Kya Kool Hain Hum 3. (Read: Kya Kool Hain Hum 3 movie review)