Actor couple Aditya Pancholi and Zarina Wahab, whose son Suraj is facing charges of abetting the suicide of actress Jiah Khan, have filed a Rs 100 crore defamation suit in the Bombay High Court against Rabbiya Khan, the mother of the deceased.
Two days back, the High Court, hearing Rabbiya’s plea, had transferred the probe from Mumbai police to CBI, asking the agency to find out whether it was a case of suicide or homicide.
The suit, filed by the Pancholis, was heard by Justice S C Gupte who on Friday asked the plaintiffs to serve a notice on Rabbiya and posted the matter for further hearing on July 9.
“So far, we have not got any notice but we know that the suit has been filed and would be heard on Wednesday (July 9),”said Rabbiya’s lawyer Dinesh Tiwari.
The suit, filed by Aditya, wife Zarina and daughter Sana, alleged that Rabbiya, a UK national, had posted slanderous, defamatory and abusive comments on Twitter which had put the Pancholi family in poor light in the eyes of the society.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The suit referred to 18 tweets posted by Rabia between March 4 and May 1 which it said were defamatory to the Pancholis. It said in these 18 tweets, Rabbiya had allegedly made personal comments about the three members of Pancholi family.
The suit said that both Aditya and Zarina had been associated with the film industry for 30 years and had earned goodwill in the society. However, due to attack on them by Rabbiya in her tweets, the family was defamed and several fans, relatives and friends are “shocked and disturbed.”
“An environment of hatred and embarrassment has been created for us and we have been shunned before the right thinking people in society,” says the suit.
The suit quantifies loss of reputation and goodwill to the Pancholi family at Rs 50 crore, damages for loss of business at Rs 25 crore and harassment at another Rs 25 crore.
Earlier, before filing the suit, the Pancholis had sent a legal notice to Rabbiya for allegedly making defamatory tweets to which she replied saying she stood by her statements. Rabbiya further alleged that even the Pancholi family had been making defamatory statements against her.
Rabbiya also said that the Pancholis were doing this only to deter her from pursuing legal remedies in a court of law against their son Suraj.
Jiah, 25, was found hanging from a ceiling fan at her Juhu home on June 3 last year. Police suspected that she had committed suicide after Suraj, with whom she had a live-in relationship, broke up with her.