BJP is planning to field cricketer S Sreesanth as its candidate for Kerala Assembly elections to be held on May 16.
Sreesanth said he would decide on whether to contest in the election tomorrow.
“I will let you know my decision by tomorrow,” Sreesanth said, but declined to give further details.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Members of Sreesanth’s family said he received a call from a top BJP leader in Delhi requesting him to contest from Thrippunithura Assembly constituency. They also said Sreesanth is likely to meet BJP chief Amit Shah when he visits Kerala.
When contacted, Kerala BJP president Kummanam Rajasekharan said the state leadership was not aware of the move but “things will be clear in two days.”
Wait for a day,you will know from where I contest-Sreesanth on reports of him contesting elections from Eranakulam pic.twitter.com/2D3lfF5W1A
— ANI (@ANI_news) March 22, 2016
A top BJP leader also said someone from BJP’s central leadership must have contacted Sreesanth directly “as he is a celebrity”.
If Sreesanth decides to contest the elections, he is likely to fight against state Excise Minister and Congress leader K Babu for Thrippunithura seat in Ernakulam district.
The CPI-M has not announced its candidate to the seat. After being exonerated in the 2013 IPL spot fixing-case
by a Delhi court last year, Sreesanth is now a busy actor. He is currently shooting for a Hindi film produced by Pooja Bhatt.
Babu, a close confidant of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, has been winning from Thrippunithura since 1991.