Sarbananda Sonowal was on Sunday unanimously elected as BJP Legislature Party leader in Assam, paving the way for his becoming next chief minister of the state.
In the first meeting of the BJP legislators after the Assembly polls, party MLA Himanta Biswa Sarma proposed Sonowal’s name as their leader in the House.
MLAs P Phukan, Atul Bora, Angoorlata Dela, Bhabesh Kalita and AC Jain supported Sonowal’s name.
- In Assam, CM Sonowal gives scooties to girls who excelled in Class XII finals
- Assam to give Rs 182 crore to 6.58 lakh tea labourers for opening bank accounts
- Poll results reflect trust on Modi leadership: Assam CM Sonowal congratulates; Himanta tweets in Gujarati
- Assam CM Sonowal ‘lacks in courage’ to ask for Naga pact content: Congress
- Assam swearing-in: PM underlines Act East, CM state identity
- Assam: Many old faces in new Sarbananda Sonowal Cabinet
Union Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot, who attended the meeting as an Observer from the BJP central unit, declared Sonowal elected unanimously as the Legislature Party leader.
Thanking Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his support, Sonowal said, “We have the spirit of unity and we have to live up to the people’s expectations.”
Talking about his meeting with Modi on Saturday, Sonowal said the Prime Minister has asked everyone to work honestly for development of all sections of the society.
“He (Modi) said we have got a scope to work for all. He is there for us in our every need. We have to complete the unfinished work,” Sonowal said.
He said the BJP winning 60 seats in Assam on its own was “completely unexpected for him”.
“People wholeheartedly gave their mandate in our favour. Nothing can be better than this. We have a big responsibility now,” he added.
After the meeting, when asked by media about his priorities, Sonowal said implementation of ‘Assam Accord’ is topmost for him.
He also said there is no discomfort in working with his former senior and AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and he will seek guidance from him.