LEFT FRONT Chariman Biman Bose on Sunday demanded that Trinamool Congress Derek O’Brien should be arrested in connection with the morphed photograph incident.
Campaigning for Jadavpur University profeddssor Ambikesh Mahapatra, Bose demanded O’Brien’s arrest citing Mahapatra’s arrest four years ago for forwarding on social media a cartoon mocking Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee as precedent.
“If Professor Ambikesh Mahapatra could be arrested for circulating a cartoon, here Derek O’Brien has morphed a photograph. Why should he not be arrested?” asked Bose. Mahapatra, an Independent candidate, is contesting against Kolkata Mayor and sitting MLA Sovan Chatterjee from Behala East.
Mahapatra is contesting with the backing of Akranta Amra against alleged “atrocities” and “human rights violations” by Trinamool Congress. With Opposition parties deciding not to nominate candidates from the seat, Mahapatra said the “the one-on-one contest against the Trinamool nominee will help him”. “The common people, it appears, are favourably inclined towards us,” he said.
- CPM leader Prakash Karat, BJP go to police over Derek O’Brien and morphed photo
- Jailed for Mamata Banerjee cartoon, JU professor is contesting polls
- West Bengal elections: Jailed for CM cartoon, Jadavpur University professor to contest polls
- Declared absconder, JU prof vows ‘bigger stir’ but no legal battle
- JU profs rights not violated: Govt
- Professor resisted TMC contractors from getting into housing society
Meanwhile, CPM general secretary Sitaram Yechury on Sunday said he will raise the issue of the morphed picture in the Parliament session beginning on Monday.
“I will raise the morphed picture issue in Parliament. Our party has already lodged a police complaint in this connection in Delhi,” Yechury said at an election meeting in Singur in Hooghly district.
Like the morphed picture, everything is fake in Trinamool, he alleged.