- Diwali 2017: From PM Modi to DM Nirmala Sitharaman, this is how Indian leaders celebrated Diwali
- 'The Wire' barred from writing on Jay Shah to protect his ‘right to live with dignity’
- Happy Diwali 2017: Wishes, Images, WhatsApp and Facebook Status and Messages, Quotes, Greetings, Wallpapers to send to your loves ones!
The Detail Application Form (DAF) is filled by candidates after clearing the prelims round of the Union Public Service Commission’s (UPSC) Civil Services Examination (CSE). In this form, the candidate has to put down credentials of his/ her academic journey so far as well as details of employment, family, income sources and so on.
Filling the DAF is one of the most important steps for candidates after clearing the prelims. Almost 12,000-15,000 aspirants undergo this process every year. They have to be very careful while filling the form as one has to fill their choices of services and cadre also. This form asks for information about hobbies and extracurricular activities too which not only reflects personality but also becomes an important area on which various questions are asked in the interview.
Watch What Else Is Making News
One can fetch maximum marks in the interview round if he/she fills it correctly. There must be no mistake in filling the DAF because it may lead to rejection of the form or cancellation of selection of the candidate. Candidates have to register themselves on the UPSC website to fill up this form. There is a minimum examination fee to be submitted with this form. Women & SC/ST candidates are exempted from this fee.
The DAF (CSM) will be available on the website of the Commission from October 7, 2016 to October 20, 2016 till 6 pm.
1. The DAF is almost 8 pages long.
2. The form has to be filled online.
3. Fee can be submitted online through net-banking/credit card/debit card or by cash.
4. Applicants who opt for the “pay by cash” mode should print the system generated pay-in-slip during filling of payment mode of the DAF and deposit the fee at an SBI branch on the next working day only.
3. Fill in all information and keep all required documents ready, that is, if you are stating any work experience then you should have your work experience certificate of the same to show at the interview.
4. Candidates should also scan their relevant original documents as listed below in 200 dpi grey scale and convert to a single PDF file of up to 2 MB size before filling the DAF. The PDF file created by you must not be password protected and it should be uploaded along at the time of the online submission of DAF.
5. The most important column in the form is your preference of services and choices of cadres. It is advisable to fill it after consulting an experienced person or someone who has previously been selected for by the UPSC.
6. You must indicate your prizes and achievements in the given slot even though it is as small as winning an essay competition. It doesn’t matter if you leave this section blank but one or two lines are always better to be mentioned instead of leaving it blank.
7. Make sure you do a good research on the hobbies and other activities that you have put down in the form because questions will surely be asked from this area.
8. Be careful to use the same photograph which you had used while filling the prelims form.
9. Aspirants should also have their official name in their email ids (such as firstname.lastname@example.org). Your email address should look professional and not be funky or tacky (such as email@example.com, etc).
10. After filling all the details, check all the certificates you have attached to the form. It is advisable to show the filled in form to someone so that they can cross check the form for you for spelling errors and factual mistakes.
Common mistakes while filling DAF:
1. Don’t send the DAF print preview PDF copy to the UPSC by mistake. The DAF must be an original one which you have printed after filing the form and uploading your picture and documents.
2. Affix your passport size photograph similar to the photograph you have uploaded in the DAF.
3. Attach all necessary certificates mentioned by the UPSC along with the DAF. For general candidates the certificates needed include Class 10 mark sheet to prove date of birth and degree-certificates to prove your eligibility. The certificates attached should be attested – either by a gazetted officer or self attested with date.
– This article has been authored by Piyush Agarwal, Co-founder & CEO, SuperProfs.
For more reference articles on UPSC exams, click here