The Supreme Court mandated Oversight Committee on Medical Council of India (MCI) has approved the establishment of 34 new private medical colleges for the current session with certain conditions, Rajya Sabha was told today.
The Oversight Committee also approved seven colleges each for private and government, for increase in seats or starting of super speciality courses, Minister of State for Health Faggan Singh Kulaste said in a written reply.
“The government issued necessary permission/ notification as approved by the OC,” he said.
He was asked whether the OC headed by Justice (retd) R M Lodha had given clearances to many private medical colleges which were put in abeyance by MCI inspectors that found glaring deficiencies.
“The Supreme Court mandated Oversight Committee on MCI approved following schemes or proposals of the applicant medical colleges for the year 2016-17 with certain conditions.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Establishment of New Medical Colleges – – 34 private, 0 government; Increase of intake capacity – -7 private colleges, one government; renewal of permission – 30 private and O for government,” the Minister said.
In August, the panel had slammed the medical education regulator MCI, saying it “disregarded” its directives by not conducting fresh inspection of medical colleges.
The Oversight Committee said it had resolved in its meeting held on June 13 that all applicant medical colleges, which were not given an opportunity to present their compliance to deficiencies communicated by MCI, be given an opportunity to do so by June 22.
For more education news, click here