President Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday attended the fifteenth anniversary celebrations of the Indian School of Business (ISB) in Mohali. Speaking on the occasion, he said, “Universities and institutions of higher learning have a huge responsibility of providing quality education, training and skill to nation’s youth. Failure to do so will lead to the demographic dividend turning into a demographic disaster.”
President Mukherjee said, “India has more than 750 universities, 36,000 colleges and several other institutions, but the quality of education leaves much to be desired. Leave apart figuring in international rankings, most of the institutions are not even making their graduates sufficiently employable.”
The President said, “Indian students and our young minds are bright, creative and innovative. It is for the institutions of higher learning to provide them with a conducive atmosphere to excel.”
Citing the examples of Dr. Hargobind Khurana and others who became Nobel Laureates while at universities/institutions abroad after having completed initial education in India, he said India will have to provide our students an atmosphere that facilitates their success.
The President exhorted students to become job givers rather than becoming job seekers. He hoped that India’s third largest eco-system of 4,500 startups will soon enhance to 10,000 new enterprises.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
President Mukherjee called upon youth and graduates to add social commitment and social responsibilities to their aspirations in life ahead, with the aim of giving back to society.
Describing them as citizens of a free nation with no fear or baggage, he asked students to take risks in life, innovate, create and make a difference.
For more education news, click here