The Centre is unable to reimburse post-matric scholarships for scheduled caste (SC) category students so far in the current financial year, as the Union Social Justice Ministry is facing liquidity crunch and has sought additional funds. According to the ministry, out of its planned budget of Rs 6,500 crore, Rs 4,667 crore was released by September end. This is 71.8 per cent of its plan budget.
However, there is an arrear demand of Rs 8,000 crore under the Post-Matric Scholarship (SC), of which a minimum of Rs 5,400 crore which accounts for the entire arrears up to 2015-16 and one-third of current year’s demand is required urgently, the ministry said.
According to sources, states pay the amount to SC students under various Post-Matric Scholarship schemes, which is reimbursed by the Centre.
The Centre has been unable to reimburse the current year’s outstanding amount which is due to states. At the same time arrears from last years are also yet to be cleared, sources said.
The issue of post-matric scholarships for SC students has been taken up with the Union Finance Ministry. An expenditure finance committee note has been forwarded for taking up at the meeting to consider suggested improvements in the scheme, as well as enhanced allocation to meet the arrear demands, they said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Post-matric scholarship scheme is the single largest intervention by the Centre for educational empowerment of SC students. Under this scheme, 100 per cent Central assistance is released to the states and Union Territories for expenditure incurred by them.
For more education news, click here