THE SAURASHTRA University has cancelled semester-V examination of chemistry for the Bachelor of Science students after question paper of the examination was allegedly leaked and widely circulated on social media, minutes before the start of test on Monday even as police detained a person in the evening in this connection.
Copies of chemistry question paper started circulating on social media platform WhatsApp at around 9:30 am on Monday, barely hour before the examination was scheduled to begin. As local news channels started flashing the news, SU authorities tried to ascertain if the paper claimed to have been leaked was the one to be administered to students.
On confirmation, the varsity approached police. “We noticed the news on television and some of our professors also called us to inform that copies of a question paper were being circulated on social media. On verification, we observed that majority of the questions in the leaked paper resembled to the original question paper. We called police and ordered cancellation of examination immediately,” Professor Sanjay Bhayani, in-charge vice-chancellor of SU told The Indian Express.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Watch what else is making news
This is second incident of paper leak in SU in three years. The paper of a B Com examination was allegedly leaked in April, 2014 and three students were subsequently arrested.
Prof Bhayani further said that the varsity dispatches papers to examination centres an hour before the start of exams.
“Presently, we don’t know who has leaked the question paper. An hour before start of exams, we dispatch question papers to colleges. The question papers remain in custody of principals of respective colleges for an hour before the examination time begins. We suspect, somebody has tried to use unfair means during this period,” the in-charge V-C said.
The regular V-C, Prof Pratapsinh Chauhan is on a tour to the US.
In-charge examination controller Amit Parekh said 3,197 students of semester-V were scheduled to take the examination at 39 centres spread across of districts like Rajkot, Morbi, Surendranagar, Jamnagar, Devbhoomi Dwarka, Amreli etc on Monday. “But we have cancelled today’s examination and rescheduled it for October 21. A police complaint has been filed and the matter is under investigation,” he said.
Based on a complaint filed by the examination controller, the University police have booked unidentified persons for criminal breach of trust and Sections 72 and 72 (A) of Information Technology Act, 2000 for circulating confidential material on electronic platforms.
“We have detained one person in whose custody a hard copy of the leaked paper was found. We are presently questioning him. But prima facie, he is not the main accused,” in-charge police inspector of University police, Manoharsinh Jadeja said.