EVEN AS more than 100 admissions are pending after students were allotted seats in the second round of admissions under the Right to Education (RTE) quota, the education department has decided to go ahead with the third round. The third lottery will be held on August 24.
According to the officials, 10 schools will not be included in this round. “These schools have not completed the online formalities of marking the exact number of admitted students and the number of pending admissions,” said Deputy Director of Education B B Chavan. He said a special round would be held for these 10 schools once the third round was completed and seats allotted.
An official from the education department said the move aimed to expedite the admission process as parents had been waiting for the third round for long. The process got delayed as schools had not updated their admission status and 105 seats were in the pending list after the second round of lottery. “We cannot begin the third round until the pending admission figures are zero,” said the official.
The education department had written to the National Informatics Centre (NIC), which conducts the online lotteries, to begin the third round. “Aspirants are waiting for the third round. So, we wrote to the NIC to begin it,” said the official.
In the second round held on July 4, 1,618 students were allotted seats but only 373 admissions have been confirmed. More than 1,500 students have not approached for admission and 56 applications were rejected.