- 'I want my school fees back': Shashi Tharoor's tweet has got the Internet rushing to the dictionary, again
- Rohit Sharma reveals the secret behind his 3rd ODI double century to Ravi Shastri, watch video
- Anushka Sharma-Virat Kohli's Mumbai reception invite has a very important message attached to it. See photo
Even after the second merit list of the Centralised Admission Process (CAP) was declared on Tuesday, it emerged that at least 13,793 students are yet to get single allotments to junior colleges, raising the panic level for both students and parents.
There are a total of 73,385 seats in junior colleges in Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad of which 52, 616 allotments were made in the first round. By July 2—the last date of CAP process—around 36,633 students had confirmed their admissions, while 190 rejected it and 839 cancelled the allotments. At least 14,954 students did not report to the colleges. In the second round, around 36,752 seats were available for admissions of which 15,563 allotments were given.
Announcing the second merit list of the CAP process, Dinkar Temkar, deputy director of education, Pune, said that 5,040 students have got fresh allotments in the second round, while 10,523 students have been given betterment options. After leaving out the students who have already got admissions under quota, there are nearly 14,000 students who await admissions to any junior college.
- After nine rounds, 24 per cent of FYJC seats remain vacant
- Zero admissions: Faced with shutdown, uncertainty looms over fate of 64 FYJC divisions in Pune
- ‘Category-wise’ admissions begin: For aspirants, every second counts
- First-come, first-served policy for online admissions to FYJC
- Pune: More than 6,000 students skip second round of FYJC admissions
- Class XI: Marginal drop in average cut-off
Of the 15,563 allotments, 3,391 students got their first choice colleges, while 5,037 were given second to fifth choice colleges. The maximum allotments took place in the Commerce English faculty (7,074), while 3,716 allotments were made for the Science faculty.
Asked why such a high number of students have not yet been allotted colleges, especially as this leads to an increase in uncertainty and anxiety amongst students and parents, Meenakshi Raut, assistant director of education, said that this is due to two reasons.
“The first reason is the high number of students who have opted for betterment, which took away a majority of the seats. Since these students have already taken provisional admissions elsewhere, which they would vacate or retain, at least 10,523 seats would be up for grabs in the next round. Besides that, in the two rounds of quota admissions, over 7,000 students have confirmed their seats and many students have got double admissions through quota and CAP, which again would open up in the next round. So even if students haven’t got allotments so far, they shouldn’t worry as they would surely get it,” Raut said.
The second reason why students may not have got allotments according to Raut is unrealistic expectations while filling up the option form for FYJC choice colleges. “Students have filled up forms of colleges whose cut-offs are far higher than their marks. Also, some faculties have more demand than the others,” she added.
Meanwhile, students who have been given allotments are advised to check the same on http://pune.fyjc.org and confirm their provisional admissions by paying Rs 50 between July 7 and July 9 from 11 am to 4 pm.
“Those students who do not take the allotments given to them would be out of the CAP process and the committee shall not be responsible for their admissions later,” Temkar warned.