Leh engineer Sonam Wangchuk, who inspired the character Phunsukh Wangdu played by Aamir Khan in Hindi film ‘3 Idiots’, has announced setting up of an “alternative university” for mountain development.
“We are preparing to launch an ambitious project — Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL), an alternative university for mountain development. It will be the sweat equity that the students will be paying as a fee for the university.
“Moreover, the institute will engage the students in finding solutions to real life challenges faced by the people of the mountains. This project will change the face of higher education in India and the future of it has already begun,” Wangchuk said during an interactive session here on November 25.
Wangchuk, who recently bagged Rolex Awards for Enterprise 2016 for his innovation of Ice Stupas, was here to participate in the Future Talk series titled “the Next Learning Revolution”.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The local government of Ladakh has been very supportive of the project by giving 200 acres of land for the construction of the university.
The vision of the university would be to provide the young generation of Ladakh with a platform where they would be running various enterprises, the funds from which will play a major role in running the varsity.