FOLLOWING THE suicide of a 16-year-old student in Kalamboli, the state education department has warned principals of junior colleges not to admit students through an offline process.
Students not admitted through the online process shall be barred from all exams and the principals will be held entirely responsible, said a notice issued by the office of the deputy director of education (DyDE), Mumbai division.
According to the notice, the colleges will now have to return the original documents, marksheets and any ‘fee’ taken from the student for offline admissions. The notice came after Kalamboli resident Pushpa Suryavanshi, who had secured 84 per cent in her SSC exams, hanged herself last Thursday for being denied admission into a college of her preference despite paying the “fees”.
Pushpa had studied till Class X in Sudhagad Education Society (SES) and had wanted to continue studying there.
Principal Iqbal Inamdar was later arrested. “He has admitted to have taken money from the girl and promised her a seat,” said an investigating officer.
The DYDE has now opened the admission process again for those who had not reported for admission after seat allocation. Thereafter, three special rounds will be conducted for students who had not applied, had filled in forms incorrectly and those who want to change their college or stream.
Meanwhile, the students unhappy with the allotted seats continued to stream in and out of the DYDE office with complaints regarding the admission procedure. “Most students haven’t been allotted seats according to their preference or merit,” said a student from south Mumbai. “When we approach the colleges of our preference, they are asking for donations,” she said.
While the officials said the confusion was because the students had not filled in their preferences correctly, the students said they had been misguided.
The student said she had been advised by the DYDE officials to fill in the first five options according to preference. Several students and parents said they had been advised the same by their schools.
“I had filled in the first five preferences properly as advised by the officials. But because we couldn’t submit an incomplete list, I filled in the rest of my preferences at random,” she said.
She was allotted a seat in Wilson College, her 11th preference, in the first round and got a betterment to R D National College Bandra, her 9th preference.
Assistant Deputy Director of Education Rajendra Ahire said students now want to change their allotted college, faculty, medium and stream. “They should check for vacancies in colleges and fill new forms with 15 options on August 9 and 10,” he said.