More than two lakh students across the state are eligible for admission into engineering colleges but only half of them stand a chance at securing a seat as the intake capacity has been slashed by almost 15,000 seats this year.
This year 2,62,133 students are eligible for admissions but the number of seats available for admissions has dropped to 1,38,741 from last year’s 1,53,867.
Dayanand Meshram, Joint Director, Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), said the number of seats were reduced after All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) took action against all engineering colleges in the state that did not comply with the council’s guidelines.
- Govt urges AICTE not to approve new colleges this year
- Devalued Degree: To fill empty seats, colleges lower bar, hire agents to cast their net
- Vacant engineering seats: Cap intake limit of colleges to 420, says DTE
- Maharashtra: 40% seats remain unoccupied in engineering colleges; state govt, AICTE in a fix
- Maharashtra engineering colleges: 81,175 aspirants allotted seats in first round
- Bombay HC allows 2 engineering colleges to admit students in new session
The AICTE has reduced the intake of 131 colleges across Maharashtra. It had also withheld admissions into six colleges in Mumbai and one in Kolhapur this year.
The council had pulled its whip after an enquiry revealed that the colleges lacked proper infrastructure and faculty.
However, two of the six colleges in Mumbai and the college in Kolhapur were later granted a stay on the AICTE decision.
According to the DTE website, 42 per cent of the seats in engineering colleges were lying vacant last year but Meshram said this had nothing to do with the reduced intake. Last year only 83,352 students were admitted to engineering colleges in the state.
Meanwhile, the number of seats for Pharmacy has increased from last year’s 10,770 to 11,212. Meshram said the number of students applying for engineering admissions will reduce as many will opt for Pharmacy.
“The situation will be clearer once the application process is over. There might be some who will go for admissions through IIT JEE. Some might not apply at all,” said Meshram.
The last date for online application is June 16.