The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) today inaugurated its community outreach project ‘SMILE Centre’ wherein students and faculty members of the premiere institute would impart formal as well as informal education to children of underprivileged families.
The SMILE (Student Mediated Initiative for Learning to Excel) Centre operates from an empty space under a flyover in front of the institute. City-based Wagh Bakri group has provided financial support while Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has alloted the space to start the Centre.
Thirty eight students of IIM-A along with seven faculty members and three research associates have agreed to give their time for this project, he added. “This Centre is more than a tuition class, as our students and faculty members would also provide them guidance about career opportunities, personality development and other skills which would prove beneficial for their overall development. We do not charge any thing from the families of these kids,” the professor said.
As of now, 89 students of Classes 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 (Commerce and Arts) from urban slums of Ranujanagar, Ramdevnagar, Jodhpur Gam, Thaltej, and Vastrapur Gam are enrolled for the academic year 2016-17. The class strength consists of 54 boys and 35 girls, who engage in academic learning for three sessions in a day. The initiative expects significantly larger of students at the center as enrolments pick up.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
— with inputs from PTI