Education minister Manish Sisodia on Tuesday reiterated the Delhi government’s demand to scrap the no-detention policy.
In a series of tweets, Sisodia said the Delhi government was waiting for the Centre to clear the Bill that spelt the end to the policy. The policy, which started in Delhi in 2006 and extended to the entire country in 2009 after the Right to Education Act was passed, says children cannot be held back till Class VIII.
“I was part of a video conference with the HRD minister on Tuesday morning and told him how the policy is harming the day-to-day functioning of schools. We hope something will move after a meeting between the Union minister and state education ministers on October 25,” Sisodia told The Indian Express.
In Delhi government schools, the policy has been blamed for a host of problems — from mass failure in Class IX to indiscipline. When a government school teacher was stabbed to death in a Nangloi school by his students, teachers’ associations blamed the no-detention policy.
Protests against the policy started in June last year when the government took steps to improve the education system. Teachers have made several representations to the government since then, asking them to scrap the policy before they introduce any other reforms.
For more news on education, click here
For all the latest Education News, download Indian Express App now