Burari: Stalker stabs 21-year-old 27 times; No one helped us… they watched, says victim’s cousin

According to the onlookers, Malik continued stabbing Karuna even after she was dead.

Written by Mahender Singh Manral | New Delhi | Updated: September 21, 2016 8:31 am
delhi, delhi stalker, delhi stalker death, delhi stalker kills woman, delhi news, delhi women, delhi govt, delhi safety for women, delhi news. india news Karuna’s mother grieves for her daughter. (Express Photo by Abhinav Saha)

On Tuesday morning, when Neha and her cousin Karuna were on their way to a local school where both of them worked as teachers, they were shocked to see Aditya Malik, who had been stalking Karuna for months. Minutes later, Malik attacked Karuna with a pair of scissors, stabbing her over and over again.

A horrified Neha started screaming for help, but her appeals went unanswered. The incident took place at a crowded market in Burari, where many of the passers-by stopped in their tracks as the brutal murder unfolded before their eyes, but none of them came forward to help the woman being attacked.

Karuna was rushed to the Sushruta Trauma Center Hospital, where she was declared dead.

Describing the incident, Neha started crying, “We were heading towards the school… we were shocked to see Aditya Malik there… he was sitting on his bike. Once we went past him, he followed us… he abused Karuna and slapped her so hard that she fell down on the road. He then started stabbing her with a pair of scissors”.

Neha said when she tried to help her sister, Malik threatened her, and she had to back off. He also scared another man who tried to stop him, she said. Within two-and-a-half minutes, Malik allegedly stabbed Karuna 27 times.

Neha said she begged for help, but in vain, as none of the passers-by came forward to help them. “None of them had the courage to help us… they were just watching us. The incident took place in a crowded market area, in front of at least 25 people. Instead of helping her themselves, they also started screaming for help,” she said.

Realising nobody at the spot was going to help them, Neha ran back towards their home, located a few metres from the incident site.

Read | Man who stabbed her 27 times said they planned to get married: Delhi Police

“Neha came running… she was crying… she told us about the incident. We rushed to the spot. None of the onlookers had bothered to call police, even when the police station was only 200 metres from the crime scene,” said Karuna’s brother Manish.

According to the onlookers, Malik continued stabbing Karuna even after she was dead. “After stabbing her, he clicked pictures of her body with his phone and even sent them to someone,” said Suresh Kumar, who said he was present at the spot.

Read | Away to attend kin’s funeral, family comes back to find daughter killed by stalker

In the minutes after the incident, footage from CCTV cameras in the area showed almost 50 people gathering around the victim, as she lies in a pool of blood,

Some eyewitnesses claimed that they called the police control room as well as an ambulance, but neither came to the spot. “Then we hailed an auto-rickshaw and took her to the hospital,” said an eyewitness.

At the Sushruta Trauma Centre Hospital, Karuna was declared dead.

Malik was eventually caught by the locals, who beat him up before handing him over to police.