Delhi: Away to attend kin’s funeral, family comes back to find daughter killed by stalker

Though the family had filed a complaint, police had pressured them to reach a “compromise” on the issue.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: September 21, 2016 8:28 am
Burari, Delhi, Delhi stalker death, stalker death delhi, delhi women safety, delhi news, Burari death, delhi police, delhi stalker kills Karuna, who was stabbed 27 times.

Five days ago, Naresh Kumar and his wife Ram Beti left for Agra to attend the last rites of a relative. By the time they came back home Tuesday morning, their oldest child, 21-year-old Karuna, had been stabbed to death by her stalker, Aditya Malik alias Surender Singh.

As she sat outside the Sushruta Trauma Centre Hospital, where her daughter had been declared dead by the doctors hours earlier, Ram Beti broke down in sobs, saying, “I have lost my will to live.” “I wanted her to become a teacher and she was fulfilling my dreams. After completing her studies, she had started teaching in a school… she was the ideal daughter,” said the victim’s mother.

The couple also have two sons: Manish, who works in a private company and Himanshu, a student. Before leaving for Agra, Ram Beti had urged Karuna to look after her younger brothers. She said the last time she had talked to her daughter was Monday night. “We had spoken to her last night… she asked me to come back home soon as she was missing me…before leaving, I had given her my blessings,” said Ram Beti.

ALSO READ | Three women attacked by stalkers in 48 hours

She claimed that though her family had filed a complaint against Malik for harassing Karuna, police had pressured them to reach a “compromise” on the issue, as the father of the accused is a retired policeman. “Six months ago, I had filed a complaint against Malik. But his father is a retired sub-inspector of Delhi Police, and the policemen pressured us to reach a compromise on the matter. I was not ready to do so… but his family members promised that he would stay away from Karuna, so we reached a compromise,” said Ram Beti.

Meanwhile, the victim’s family members held a protest outside the Sushruta Trauma Centre, demanding stringent punishment against the accused as well as the policemen who had allegedly refused to act against Malik.