Yogacharya B K S Iyengar, 96, was admitted to the critical care unit of a private hospital on Tuesday afternoon after he complained of breathlessness.
Doctors said he was stable and conscious and was being treated for breathlessness and low blood pressure. Echocardiography and other blood tests would be conducted as part of the check up, they added.
Iyengar’s eldest daughter Geeta and son Prashant accompanied Iyengar while family physician Dr Manoj Naik was present at the hospital.
Bellur Krishnamachari Sundararaja Iyengar, the founder of Iyengar Yoga, is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and was selected for the Padma Vibhushan, the highest civilian award.
According to sources, he had gone to Delhi in April for the award ceremony after which he spent a month at his native place in Bellur.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
He returned to Pune in June and was unwell. He was treated at home by the family physician. Iyengar continued to attend classes but had grown weak in the last ten days, and was taking less food. On Tuesday, the family decided to take Iyengar to a private hospital. Presently he is stable and under observation, family members said.