Sitting MP Suresh Kalmadi on Thursday said he would reveal his stand on being denied a ticket by the Congress for Pune Lok Sabha seat after holding discussions with supporters in the next few days.
Returning to the city for the first time after being denied a ticket, Kalmadi was surrounded by supporters at the airport and his house. Congress leaders who welcomed him at the airport included legislator Ramesh Bagawe, Deputy Mayor Bandu Gaikwad and a few corporators.
“I will hold meeting with my supporters before declaring the stand for elections. I will make my stand public in the next few days,” Kalmadi told reporters.
Congress workers supporting Kalmadi met him at his house to seek directions for the upcoming elections, with the party giving the ticket to Vishwajeet Kadam, state Youth Congress chief and son of senior leader Patangrao Kadam. “We will do whatever our leader says. It was injustice to deny him a ticket as he has not been proved guilty (in the Commonwealth Games scam). Kalmadi has contributed a lot to the party in the city and was solely responsible for keeping the city a party bastion,” said a Congress leader.
Rivals within the party and from Opposition parties have been targeting him for the past few years, he said. “We are hurt by the treatment meted out to him by party. We will stand by the decision he takes for the elections,” the leader added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The declaration of Kadam as the party candidate is being seen as the end of Kalmadi in city politics, but his supporters are confident he will make a comeback soon. After the announcement, Kadam had said Kalmadi is a senior leader with good contribution to the city.
Meanwhile, the party has got divided into three groups — the anti-Kalmadi camp, his supporters, and those working for Kadam.
Kadam has been meeting senior party leaders to seek their support. On Thursday, he offered prayers at Ganesh temple before launching his election campaign. He is also holding meetings with the NCP for garnering the support of alliance party workers.