The function to rename Pune university had a surprise guest in Union Minister of State for Rural Development Upendra Kushwaha. He was not scheduled to attend the function, but said he decided to make it to the event as a “mark of respect” for Savitribai Phule after whom the varsity was renamed on Saturday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and his deputy Ajit Pawar, whose names were printed on the invitation cards and official banners, skipped the function citing “exigencies of work.”
Kushwaha said he had come to know about renaming of the university after Savitribai a couple of days ago.
“Savitribai and her social reformer husband Mahatma Phule paved the foundation for social equality. Their life and work inspire all of us. We often read about their contribution in the field of women education and other social reforms,” the minister and Member of Parliament from Bihar said.
Kushwaha, whose Rashtriya Lok Samata Party is an ally of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), said the university should strive to reflect Phule’s ideology. “The renaming after a social great like Savitribai will serve its purpose only if the varsity takes it to the desired height and delivers in keeping with values and principles preached and practised by Phule,” he said, appreciating the decision of the state government to name the university after Phule.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Press Information Bureau (PIB) officials who are in the know of union ministers’ schedules, said they came to know about Kushwaha’s visit on Friday afternoon.
In his introductory speech, Vice-Chancellor Wasudeo Gade said both CM Chavan and deputy CM Pawar cancelled their visit at the ‘last minute’ due to exigencies of work. “Both conveyed their best on the renaming of university,” he said.
When contacted, political workers said Chavan was attending important events in his home town Satara, while Ajit Pawar’s Saturday schedule was not known.
Meanwhile, descendants of Savitribai Phule living in the city, and others, held a function to inaugurate the name at the main gate.
Governor K Sankaranarayanan and NCP chief Sharad Pawar, among others, had first inaugurated the statue of social reformer and jurist Dr B R Ambedkar on the university campus and later unveiled a bust of Savitribai Phule at the main building.
Neeta Hole, a descendant of Phule, said, “It should have been inaugurated first. We have no idea what went wrong. Since it was unceremonious that the name was not unveiled despite the function kicking off, we unveiled it,” said Hole, who was not invited by the university.