The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has announced the candidature of sitting MP Supriya Sule from Baramati Lok Sabha constituency for the ensuing general elections. The party’s first list of 18 candidates declared on Thursday also names Devdatta Nikam, whose candidature from Shirur was already announced by Deputy Chief Minister and NCP leader Ajit Pawar.
Sule, daughter of NCP chief and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, had registered a thumping win in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections when she defeated BJP’s Kanta Jaysing Nalawade by 3,36,831 votes. BJP has till now not declared any candidate to be fielded against Sule. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), whose second list was also out on Thursday, too, has not fielded anybody yet against Sule.
Sule, 44, was a member of the Rajya Sabha in 2006 before she contested the Lok Sabha poll from Baramati, her father’s hometown. She was instrumental in the state-wide campaign against female foeticide and in framing of youth policy for Maharashtra along with networking and support to women self-help groups in the state. The water treatment plants at Wadgaon and Parvati, multi-crore water project in Khadakwasla and completion of water schemes like Janai-Shirsai and certain road projects under Central schemes are some of the work Sule claims to have done in her constituency — a mix of urban and rural areas.
Meanwhile, Devdatta Nikam, the chairman of Bhima Cooperative Sugar Mill, is predicted to have a tough time in Shirur. In 2009, sitting MP Adhalrao Patil had routed NCP’s Vilas Lande in the then newly-created Shirur constituency.
Former deputy chief minister Vijaysinh Mohite-Patil will fight from Madha, which has fallen vacant after Sharad Pawar opted for Rajya Sabha membership a few weeks ago. As per their seat-sharing formula for the elections, Congress will contest 26 seats and NCP the remaining 22.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
NCP full list
- Chhagan Bhujbal: Nashik
- Supriya Sule: Baramati
- Devdatta Nikam: Shirur
- Vijaysinh Mohite-Patil: Madha
- Navneet Rana-Kaur: Amravati
- Udayanraje Bhosale:Satara
- Vijay Bhambale: Parbhani
- Satish Patil: Jalgaon
- Anand Paranjape: Kalyan
- Praful Patel: Bhandara
- Krishnarao Ingle:Buldhana
- Padmasinh Patil:Osmanabad
- Rajiv Rajle: Ahmednagar
- Dhananjay Mahadik: Kolhapur
- Bharti Pawar: Dindori
- Sanjeev Naik: Thane
- Manish Jain: Raver
- Sanjay Dina Patil:North-east Mumbai