The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has announced the candidature of sitting MP Supriya Sule from Baramati Lok Sabha constituency for the ensuing general elections. The party’s first list of 18 candidates declared on Thursday also names Devdatta Nikam, whose candidature from Shirur was already announced by Deputy Chief Minister and NCP leader Ajit Pawar.
Sule, daughter of NCP chief and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, had registered a thumping win in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections when she defeated BJP’s Kanta Jaysing Nalawade by 3,36,831 votes. BJP has till now not declared any candidate to be fielded against Sule. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), whose second list was also out on Thursday, too, has not fielded anybody yet against Sule.
Sule, 44, was a member of the Rajya Sabha in 2006 before she contested the Lok Sabha poll from Baramati, her father’s hometown. She was instrumental in the state-wide campaign against female foeticide and in framing of youth policy for Maharashtra along with networking and support to women self-help groups in the state. The water treatment plants at Wadgaon and Parvati, multi-crore water project in Khadakwasla and completion of water schemes like Janai-Shirsai and certain road projects under Central schemes are some of the work Sule claims to have done in her constituency — a mix of urban and rural areas.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Meanwhile, Devdatta Nikam, the chairman of Bhima Cooperative Sugar Mill, is predicted to have a tough time in Shirur. In 2009, sitting MP Adhalrao Patil had routed NCP’s Vilas Lande in the then newly-created Shirur constituency.
Former deputy chief minister Vijaysinh Mohite-Patil will fight from Madha, which has fallen vacant after Sharad Pawar opted for Rajya Sabha membership a few weeks ago. As per their seat-sharing formula for the elections, Congress will contest 26 seats and NCP the remaining 22.
NCP full list
- Chhagan Bhujbal: Nashik
- Supriya Sule: Baramati
- Devdatta Nikam: Shirur
- Vijaysinh Mohite-Patil: Madha
- Navneet Rana-Kaur: Amravati
- Udayanraje Bhosale:Satara
- Vijay Bhambale: Parbhani
- Satish Patil: Jalgaon
- Anand Paranjape: Kalyan
- Praful Patel: Bhandara
- Krishnarao Ingle:Buldhana
- Padmasinh Patil:Osmanabad
- Rajiv Rajle: Ahmednagar
- Dhananjay Mahadik: Kolhapur
- Bharti Pawar: Dindori
- Sanjeev Naik: Thane
- Manish Jain: Raver
- Sanjay Dina Patil:North-east Mumbai