Sparks in e-ticket machine,conductor suffers burns

A conductor suffered minor burns after a short circuit in an e-ticket machine while he was isssuing tickets on Thursday morning.

Written by Express News Service | Pune | Published:February 10, 2012 2:18 am

A conductor suffered minor burns after a short circuit in an e-ticket machine while he was isssuing tickets on Thursday morning. The incident took place on a Chinchwad-Bhosari bus of the Nehrunagar depot.

PMPML spokesperson Deepak Pardeshi,said,“From the initial report we learnt that the conductor is safe and no serious injuries have been reported. He was taken to YCM Hospital and nothing more than first aid was required.”

When contacted,the conductor said he saw smoke and small sparks in the machine while he was issuing tickets. “The machine emitted sparks and smoke. It was more like an electric shock. I was given some ointment by doctors as there was nothing serious,” he said.

However,an official statement from Once Infotech that manufactures the ticketing machines has denied allegations of a short circuit in the machine. “The machine has been functioning properly all day after the incident. It was not a short circuit,just the thermal paper on which the ticket is printed emerged black out of the machine. So the conductor panicked thinking the machine had caught fire,” said Rahul Wadekar,assistant manager,Once Infotech.

In 2010,the machines had caught fire while being plugged in for charging. Since then workers’ unions have been demanding that the machines be scrapped. “E-ticket machines are potential hazards for conductors and passengers if they catch fire” said AN Anpur,general secretary,PMP Kamgar Sangh.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results