From Songaon, a remote village in Ahmednagar district, to cracking the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), Bhushan Gandhi has come a long way. When the GATE 2015 results were announced on Thursday, Bhushan secured All India Rank 1, making his dream to become the first engineer from his family a near possibility.
“I used to study for 12-14 hours every day for six months prior to the exam. This was my second attempt. My first attempt was last year when I secured AIR-565. But I was not happy with it and hence tried really hard this time. I knew I would get a good rank, but never even dreamt that I would top the exam,” said an elated Gandhi.
“Ever since the results were declared, he has been so excited that he has hardly eaten anything. When I had once asked him what made him read the same study material again, he said every time he read, he did it with an ‘intent to improve’, and that is what makes a winner,” said Subhash Gandhi, Bhushan’s uncle.
- Afzal Guru’s son passes Class XII with distinction, wants to pursue medicine
- CAT 2017: Among toppers, non-IITians, students from Gujarati medium
- CAT 2017: IIT-Bombay student one of 20 to score 100 percentile
- Living in camps, this woman migrant bags rank 4 in KAS exam
- GATE 2017 topper Ravi Shankar Mishra (AIR 3) shares exam tips, says follow day-wise strategy
- GATE 2017 topper Ameya Dravid (AIR 2) says old papers and test series help in preparation
Bhushan completed his schooling from an English-medium school in Songaon, Rahata. “I did two years of my BSc from Sinhgad College of Science and for a year, I was in my hometown. Then I did my MSc and last August, went to Delhi for GATE coaching,” said Bhushan, who has topped in Life Sciences with Biochemistry and Microbiology as his options in the GATE exam.
Bhushan wants to secure admission to IIT-Bombay for biomedical engineering. He is yet to decide whether he wants to take up research or applied fields. Bhushan’s parents, Pramod and Anita Gandhi, run a cloth shop in Songaon and his younger brother studies in Pune.