THE MORTAL remains of Army soldier Sepoy Sunil Suryavanshi who died in the massive avalanche in Siachen on February 3, were consigned to flames with full military honours at his native village Maskarwadi in Satara district on Tuesday morning.
Suryavanshi was a nursing assistant in the Army Medical Corps and was attached to the 19 Madras Regiment deployed at Siachen Glacier. He was among the 10 Army soldiers who were killed in the avalanche. The mortal remains were flown to Pune from Delhi on Monday and were taken to Satara in the night.
- Siachen avalanche: Deceased jawan Sepoy Mustaq Ahmed laid to rest
- Mortal remains of Siachen martyr flown to Hyderabad
- An account of martyrs who lost their lives in Siachen
- Mortal remains of nine soldiers flown to Siachen base camp
- Bodies of remaining 8 soldiers recovered from Siachen
- Siachen avalanche: Body of one of 10 soldiers recovered, rescue operations still on
In the morning, as the procession reached Maskarwadi, the villagers paid their respects to their hero by chanting “Amar rahe, amar rahe, shaheed Sunil Suryavanshi amar rahe’ (long live martyr Sunil Suryavanshi) and laying flower petals on the way. The remains were kept at his family home for sometime for people and family members to pay their respects.”
Several serving and retired Army officers too paid their last respects. Wreaths were laid on behalf of Madras Regiment, National Cadet Corps, Bombay Engineering Group and the Chief of Army Staff.
Funeral pyre was lit by his elder brother Tanaji as the guard of honour was given with a three-volley gun salute. Hundreds of villagers from surrounding villages and many residents from Satara attended the funeral. Suryavanshi (25), is survived by his wife Rekha, daughter Tanuja, father, mother and brother.