In view of the possibility of losing out on the Rs 1-crore grant that colleges receive from the University Grants Council (UGC), several city college principals have requested the University of Pune (UoP) to separate them from junior colleges. The Rs 1-crore grant is given by the UGC to senior colleges with good performance.
The UGC has earmarked this fund under the category ‘College with Potential Excellence’ but is not given to composite colleges. In the recently concluded senate meeting, many principals had pointed out that despite getting A and B grades from National Assessment and Accreditation Council, they may lose out on the UGC grant and therefore they want to be detached from junior colleges.
“The number of students increases due to junior colleges and hence there is a lot of pressure on teaching and non-teaching staff. This also affects the quality of education. The problems of senior and junior colleges are of different nature. There are times when due to mismanagement and irregularities in admission process of junior colleges, senior college principals are held guilty. Look at what happened in SP College,” said a senate member, referring to the SP College issue where due to irregularities in Class XI admission, the principal had to resign.
“It is difficult for senior college principals to cope up with the pressure of monitoring students of junior and senior colleges and also undertake research and projects, as it is compulsory for principals,” said another senate member.
UoP Vice-Chancellor WN Gade assured the members the committee would make a strong recommendation to detach senior and junior colleges and it would be sent to the state government for consideration.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016