Citing inaction on part of the Election Commission over the issue of 1.08 lakh Sangli voters allegedly being included in Pune’s electoral roll, the legal cell of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has decided to file an application in the Bombay High Court on Tuesday. The intervener application will seek investigation by the Election Commission into the matter followed by action against the guilty.
Talking to The Indian Express, Advocate Vinayak Abhyankar of BJP’s legal cell said: “We had submitted a CD to the commission on April 11 showing duplicate names in Sangli and Pune electoral rolls. But except for an apology, the EC has not taken any action. It is a serious matter and needs investigation and further inquiry. Tomorrow (Tuesday), we are submitting an intervener application in the Bombay HC.”
The BJP’s IT cell had first pointed out that 1.08 lakh voters — about 17,500 in each of the six Assembly constituencies in Pune — originally belonged to Sangli. The BJP had then alleged that the names were deliberately added to the Pune list by Congress candidate Vishwajeet Kadam whose father Patangrao Kadam is a minister from Sangli.
The BJP had demanded that corrective action be taken by the EC to prevent these voters from voting. The EC too had promised an inquiry into the matter immediately after receiving the initial complaints, but hardly anything moved on ground, said Abhyankar.
An EC official, meanwhile, said: “We have handed over separate lists to the returning officers (ROs) and they will be verifying the names with their addresses in Sangli.”
Officials, however, said the commission had inadequate machinery to tally details of 1.08 lakh individuals, especially ahead of the counting day on May 16.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review