Sassoon general hospital is in the final stage of acquiring the plot of land owned by Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation to set up a super-specialty cancer hospital, Dr Ajay Chandanwale, Dean, B J G Medical College and Sassoon General Hospitals said.
There has been an increasing demand for a government cancer hospital due to the rising number of cases.
The state has permitted the grant of the land to Sassoon hospital in lieu of which the hospital authorities will give their land at Yerawada which has its mental health institute.
- My aim was that the middle class should come to government hospitals for treatment
- Advanced cancer treatment in city hospitals gives rise to platelet demand
- Phase II of trauma care project awaits funds
- Sassoon General Hospital ill-equipped to fight a blaze
- Last-minute referrals push up death rate at Sassoon
- Soon,a centre for rehab of mentally ill under MIMH
The cancer hospital will have 300 beds and a plan to set it up at an amount of Rs 300 crore has been proposed.
The dean was speaking at an event organised on Thursday at Society of Friends of Sassoon General Hospital (SOFOSH)’s child care centre where he expressed his gratitude to BNY Mellon which donated medical equipment worth Rs 10 lakh — 31 units of ECG, stretchers on trolleys with saline stands and oxygen cylinders (25 units) and dressing trolleys (25 units).
Chandanwale also said the work is progressing fast on the 11-storey building on the campus will house super specialty departments and modular operation theatres.