IN A bid to increase security at stations and trains, the Railway Protection Force (RPF) contingent at Pune may soon get a boost with about 20-25 commandos joining the force. The jawans are being trained in counter-terrorism tactics from the elite ‘Force One’ team.
As many as 125 jawans from the Central Railway are getting ‘elite commando training’ that will prepare them to prevent and tackle serious security situations, including terror attacks. As per the Pune Division officials, Pune being one of the important cities in the Central Railway jurisdiction, it can hope to get 20 to 25 of these ‘elite jawans’.
“These jawans are currently being trained at Maharashtra Police’s training facility at Hadapsar. They are being trained to deal with highly-untoward circumstances, including quick and effective response to the possibility of a terror attack. Presently, the training of the first batch of RPF jawans is underway after which another batch of 125 jawans will enter the module. Following this, Inspector General (RPF) will allot these commandos to various divisions,” said D Vikas, Divisional Security Commissioner, Pune, adding that the present batch is in the third week of training.
- Maharashtra bandh: Rail traffic hit, 170 locals cancelled, 1,020 delayed in Mumbai
- Life on the Mumbai Local: Mobile app to check crimes against women tests waters
- Women’s compartment in Pune-Lonavla local unguarded; men often hop in; thefts common
- Railways allots fixed seats for security personnel aboard
- Mumbai: New app to make rail commute safer for women between Churchgate and Virar
- RPF observes confusion and overlap in job roles with GRP
Other senior officials said that the idea is to impart specialised commando training to RPF personnel keeping in view requirements for better protection of railway property, staff and passengers.
“These are freshly recruited jawans who will be allotted to various centres based on need and threat assessment,” said Vikas.
The physical training, which involves activities such as rappelling, handling and using sophisticated weapons, is tough compared to other police agencies in the country. Force One encourages a culture of competition within the team to get best performance in a crisis situation.