A domestic LPG cylinder blast gutted 22 hutments at Mhatoba Nagar in Balewadi on Tuesday morning. No casualties were reported, but dozens of families residing in the damaged hutments, which mainly included labourers, were left homeless.
According to the fire brigade, a domestic LPG exploded in one of the hutments at around 10.30 am. Soon, the fire spread and LPG cylinders in surrounding houses also exploded. Most people residing in the hutments were out for work at their construction sites at the time of the incident, due to which major casualties were avoided. Some residents also managed to shift LPG cylinders in their homes to safer places.
- Four of family injured in LPG cylinder explosion in Thane
- Panchkula LPG cylinder blast: Ensure no damage to knob, never tilt LPG cylinder, say experts
- Mumbai fire: Man held for ‘triggering’ blaze; hunt on for his aides, say police
- Fire at Garib Nagar slums: Demolition drive ordered by Bombay HC, will continue, says BMC
- Major fire breaks out at Garib Nagar slums, families evacuated; fireman among 2 injured
- 50 hutments gutted in Gultekdi
The explosions created a huge noise, causing major panic in the area. Fire station officer Gajanan Pathrudkar said, “Gas leaked from a domestic LPG cylinder caught fire causing massive explosions. Seven LPG cylinders exploded at the spot.”
It also came to be known that one of the huts which was reduced to ashes had money saved in it for the marriage of a girl in the family. Some labourers living in the huts reportedly came from the drought-affected regions of Marathwada. While they were finding it difficult to earn enough money back home due to the drought situation, the fire created additional problems for them, ruining their sole belongings.