The Cyber Cell of Pune city police has arrested a conman who allegedly duped many persons by falsely claiming to be a private detective.
Culprit Sagar Ashok Pandit, a resident of Keshav Nagar in Pimpri, and his Delhi-based accomplice had floated advertisements of a private detective service agency on social media and Justdail service.
They claimed to have software using which it was possible to record cell phone calls, trace locations of callers, read the messages and other information in the cell phones secretly. They also offered services like surveillance, gathering information about extramarital affairs.
- Cyber crime: Bank employee cheated of Rs 1.5 lakh
- Call Data Record case: Thane Police summons actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Detective under the microscope
- Detective at wrong end: Rajani Pandit sent to judicial custody in call records case
- CDR leak: Police yet to nail source, approach cellular service providers for clues
- Pune cyber scam: Kothrud case probe helps cops bust illegal call centre in Delhi
According to the police, a few days ago, Jagganath Chowdhary, a resident of Chandan Nagar, got to know about this detective agency from Justdail. When he contacted the agency, he was asked to pay Rs 50,000 for the detective services. But Chowdhary demanded the software used for secretly recording phone calls after paying Rs 11,000. He also paid Rs 4,000 to the agency but never got any software.
So he lodged a complaint with Chandan Nagar police station.
Meanwhile, the Cyber Cell also received an anonymous complaint regarding fake private detective agency attracting customers through social media. It then initiated a probe and arrested Pandit on Wednesday evening.
Police found that Pandit’s aide based in Delhi is the mastermind and has cheated several persons to the tune of Rs 6 lakh.
Police have launched a search for Pandit’s accomplice. Meanwhile, Pandit was handed over to the Chandan Nagar police station for further investigation.