The Pune unit of state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) has arrested gangster Anand Ganpat Jori alias Bhau (23) and recovered two pistols and three live cartridges from him. Acting on a tip-off to policemen Bapu Jambhle and Kashinath Ubhe, a team led by assistant police inspector Sumedh Khopikar laid a trap and arrested Jori near Alka talkies Wednesday evening and seized the firearms he was carrying.
- Jailed gangster may have helped murder convict escape police custody, say cops
- Persuade them to surrender, Punjab police urge kin of gangsters on the run
- Sharpshooter from UP’s Kasganj arrested in Delhi’s Okhla Mandi, aide escapes
- Seized from Delhi gangsters: Pistol from Brazil, another used by US armed forces
- Police arrest three members of a gang,recover Rs 7.8 lakh booty
- Gangster held,cops suspect SIMI links
A press release issued by ATS said Jori, a resident of Parvati Darshan area, is a member of the Sachin Dangat gang and was wanted in a murder case for the past four years. Police said that the Dangat gang had shot dead a rival, Ismail Shaikh, in 2008. Jori was arrested in this case. Later, after coming out on bail, he allegedly kidnapped and murdered one Balasaheb Kakre in Talegaon Dabhade in 2012. He was booked in this case on charges of murder, but had been evading arrest. Jori is involved in 21 offences of murder, attempt to murder, dacoity, extortion, vehicle theft and robbery.
ATS is also on the lookout for criminals involved in the illegal trade of firearms.