IN 2004, a Marathi play named ‘Ek Jhunjh Waryashi’ was organised by Ashay Sanskrutik and Maharashtra Cultural Centre at Tilak Smarak Mandir. Among other actors, the play featured late actor Ashwini Ekbote, who passed away on October 22 after she suffered a cardiac arrest while giving a dance performance at Bharat Natya Mandir. In the entire two-and-a-half hour long play, Ekbote did not have a single dialogue, and only portrayed her emotions through her eyes, body language and facial expressions. Yet, when the play ended, there was no one in the audience who was left unmoved by her performance.
Around 15 years ago, Ekbote became associated with Pulotsav when she gave a performance. Thereafter, her association only grew with the festival. Ekbote rarely missed the festival. Hence, to mark her contribution to the field of art, Pulotsav will be honouring her posthumously with the Pulotsav Special Award as a tribute to her work and talent.
Some of the Marathi films Ekbote worked in include Mahaguru, Aarambh, Bavre Prem He and High Command, among others. She also featured in TV serials like Duheri, Durava, Kashala Udyachi Baat and so on. The award will be received by Ekbote’s family.
“Given her long association with Pulotsav, we decided to present this award to her family as a mark of respect towards her years-long contribution in the creative field,” said Virendra Chitrav, one of the organisers.
“Ashwini’s death came as a shock to everyone who knew her. It was too unfortunate and expected. Her death also made us realise how competitive the world is especially for the young artistes, who lead hectic lives which are full of struggle. In their busy schedules, they often ignore their health,” says Chitrav.
Chitrav says apart from Pulotsav, Ekbote was also closely associated with Aashay Film Club since its inception in 1985. “She was very fond of watching world cinema and would rarely miss film screenings, though that reduced later on when she started spending more time in Mumbai due to her professional assignments,” remembered Chitrav.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016