With the Central government extending the ban on Students Islamic Movement of India, the Pune police Friday served notices on 45 persons in the city who were attached to this organisation.
The Centre had in February 2012 banned the SIMI for two years. The Ministry of Home Affairs recently issued a new notification imposing a fresh ban of five years on SIMI starting February 1, 2014. According to the home ministry, SIMI activities are still “prejudicial to the integrity and security of the country.”
The notification issued by the ministry lists 21 terror cases, highlighting the alleged involvement of SIMI, including the rioting at Azad Maidan in Mumbai in 2012.
The ministry also pointed out four “communal” incidents in Hyderabad allegedly involving SIMI activists. It cited two cases of Gujarat where “14 undertrials in a case of bomb blasts dug the earth beneath a water tank for escaping from jail”.
The notification also cited two cases in Madhya Pradesh where six former members of SIMI escaped from the Khandwa jail in October 2013. Another case relates to exchange of fire between alleged SIMI members and the Maharashtra ATS in 2012.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The home ministry said in its order: “The Central government is of the opinion that if unlawful activities of SIMI were not curbed immediately, it will take the opportunity to continue its subversive activities and reorganise absconding members, disrupt the secular fabric of the country by polluting the minds of the people by creating communal disharmony, propagate anti-national sentiments, escalate secessionism by supporting militancy and undertake activities prejudicial to the integrity and security of the country.”